Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

What is the process to install vanilla

edited October 2009 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
What is the process to install vanilla

Comments

• Options
    did you figure it out? i'm still trying.
  • Options
    ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    What in particular are you having a problem with?
  • Options
    jbminnjbminn New
    edited October 2009
    Here's how I have successfully installed Vanilla 2 multiple times. These steps, with minor deviance to account for your environment, should work for you as well. Apologies in advance for covering even the basic steps; many folks find these 'step by step' posts useful.

1. Got to github & download a tarball.

2. Drop that tarball into a location on your web server

Untar the tarball into your web folder & create a database & db user for Vanilla.

Since my server type is apache, my steps are apache-centric. Here's where you'll need to deviate & substitute your own steps or paths.

3. Ensure your web server can execute .htaccess rules (i.e. that it will actually fire a rewrite rule in .htaccess file)

In apache, this means you have to open up (at a minimum) the directory where Vanilla is installed to allow overrides.

4. Install both PDO & PDO_MYSQL into your php environment.

This involves using pecl (or something like it) to install both PDO & PDO_MYSQL, and then editing your php.ini to point to the extensions folder & the shared library for pdo_mysql. This is documented elsewhere in the forums (by me, search for jbminn)

5. Ensure apache starts up with the edited php.ini

This is also documented elsewhere (search for jbminn)

6. Navigate to the url where Vanilla is installed & follow on-screen instructions

Note you may have to manually create a folder; this is pretty obvious, but is also documented elsewhere (search for jbminn).
  • Options
    thanks for that mate really helped
  • Options
    go to http://www.vanillaforums.com to find out more