Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Unable to login to forum. Unusual cause...

edited October 2009 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Hello,

I'm working with a developer to convert our IPB forums to Vanilla 2.

We've been working with the latest version of Vanilla 2 and so far everything has been going well. We've migrated all the members, threads and posts.

I've used password reset to set a new password for my (admin) account. Logged in just fine and accessed Dashboard and all its options perfectly.

I went offline for a few hours, came back to my Vanilla forum and attempted to login. It simply doesn't allow me to login.

I enter my login email and password, it just reloads the page and takes me back to the front page. No errors.

I dumped the forum from the database and re-ran my migration script. Repeated all the above and the same problem has occured - After logging in fine the first time, returning to the forum some hours later, it won't allow me to login.

Any help would be appreciated here as I don't have a clue what the problem is.

Thanks,

Tom

Comments

• Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin
    1. Did you try simply resetting your password when you weren't able to login rather than re-migrating?

2. You say you enter your login EMAIL and password, but when logging back in you should be using your USERNAME and password. Is the mistake in what you're doing or what you said?

3. Would you be so kind as to share your migration scripts when you're done? :D
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    If it signed you in successfully but then you didn't have an active session, it's more likely something to do with your cookies or your cookie setup. The fact that it doesn't throw a password error is the give-away.

Make sure that your cookie domain is defined properly in conf/config.php. Possibly try deleting your cookies in your browser and signing in again.
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    And yes - please share your migration scripts! :)
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Hello,

Thanks for the responses.

I intend to release the script once I am done, was going to send it to you Mark for you to take a look at and see if it needs any further work. It is a minimal migration, meaning I chose to have member accounts (inc join date, post count), threads/posts, categories brought over and nothing else. That is pretty much all that is needed in my opinion, but I chose not to bring over much of the IPB profile data (the user customised profile data that is). I configured the script to "tidy up" the post content abit further (unsightly line spaces etc.) - My IPB forum used emoticons pretty heavily, the only thing left to do after running the migration is to run a simple database query on the database to re-set the location to the emoticon folder and all the broken emoticons appear just fine.

Ok, firstly the login issue; Thanks both for the help with this.

Lincoln; There is no login process that requests for username, it just asks for email and password? Should the login form be asking for username over email? I am hoping it does because this is the next thing I am going to look it (not looked at Vanilla 2's configuration options yet so was hoping there is an option to request Username over Password). I am logging in via (www.forumdomain.com/entry/?Target=discussions) Toolbar > Sign In. Same page shows Sign In, Reset My Password, Apply for Membership.

Regarding the Login issue:

I had thought it was something to do with cookies and had cleared my cookies which didn't seem to affect this. I've just attempted to login again now (without clearing cookies) and it appears to work fine!

From what I can see in the config file, the domain of the site is specified (not the directory the forum is located in, which I don't think is required?) I feel this could be a cookies issue though, will continue to test.

Reset Password Error:

One issue that I was going to create a new thread about that has come up during our testing (this is after migrating all data).

When a user resets their password (reset password, enter email, click url in email, enter desired password, submit) the page refreshes as it should but coughs up this large error:

Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'Exception' with message 'The email or id is required' in /home/******/public_html/vanilla2/applications/garden/models/class.usermodel.php:712 Stack trace: #0 /home/******//public_html/vanilla2/library/core/class.passwordauthenticator.php(126): Gdn_UserModel->ValidateCredentials(false, 0, 'test') #1 /home/******//public_html/vanilla2/library/core/class.passwordauthenticator.php(108): Gdn_PasswordAuthenticator->_Authenticate(false, 'test', false, '') #2 /home/******//public_html/vanilla2/applications/garden/controllers/entry.php(385): Gdn_PasswordAuthenticator->Authenticate(Array) #3 /home/******//public_html/vanilla2/library/core/class.dispatcher.php(222): EntryController->PasswordReset('62', 'ONVWC8') #4 /home/phlegm/public_html/vanilla2/index.php(41): Gdn_Dispatcher->Dispatch() #5 {main} thrown in /home/******//public_html/vanilla2/applications/garden/models/class.usermodel.php on line 712

I am unsure if this error is purely cosmetic, but the password IS re-set to the desired password, so it is working. However, this unsightly error is plastered over the screen so I'm wondering how I can clear it up?
  • Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin
    @Bobo On both my dev installation and this one it asks for Username to login. You're quite sure yours is asking for Email instead? (I've accidentally typed email in the Username box several times and thinking I was locked out but in retrospect I'm pretty sure it was just me goofing... if you have evidence of it actually *saying* Email, believe me, I'd like to know)

I haven't run into that password reset bug. Reporting bugs like that in GitHub will earn you high fives though :)http://github.com/lussumo/Garden
  • Options
    Have dropped you a PM with forum URL :) I'd appreciate if you could verify if I'm not losing my mind :)

Regarding the reset bug - I haven't sent it to GitHub because I wasn't sure if it was a bug. Unsure if it is connected directly to the migration.

Will add it up there though.

Tom
  • Options
    I've encountered the login issue once again where it is simply not allowing me to login.

This happens in IE7. I swapped over to Firefox and tried logging in there, it appears to work without issue.

Clearing cookies (and everything else) makes no difference.
  • Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin
    @Mark - check it out, he's right (and I'm not losing my mind! YES!)

http://icrontic.com/images/linc/garden/errors/email-login.jpg
  • Options
    lucluc ✭✭
    edited October 2009
    @Lincoln : It's the same thing right here. Up to date on git.

http://gardenvanilla2.mefound.com/entry

/var/www/gardenvanilla2.mefound.com$ date ; git pull Sat Oct 3 11:31:52 CEST 2009 Already up-to-date.
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    We're switching to an email-based login for a ton of different reasons. However, it will be "friendly" in that you can still use your username if you like (kind of like gmail).
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    I imagine the password reset but is not related to your migration and is probably worth adding to github :/