Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

vanila 1 to 2 import questions

edited October 2009 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Hello

first of all, nice work on building even better plain vanilla

I have separate install of vanilla 2 (just cloned from git), so that i could play with it while the old 1.x is working.
my server setup if php 5.2 as fcgi on apache 2.2

now to the point:

1) docs say: go to domain/import to import your old data from vanila 1
this is valid only if rewrite is already active (which by default it is not)
so the correct url should be: domain/index.php/import
(add path if applicable)

2) is it possible to keep old URLs when importing?
I mean: user ID, discussion IDs, etc?
changing structure of working URLs of whole site is a no-no

3) why not allow upgrade even from the install - this way the (not needed) new admin user will not be added, but the old one could be used

4) keep in mind that I had to comment out section 10 and 11 of import.php. for some reason I was getting "parse error" string at step 11/something (not PHP error, but rather vanilla one)
no problem as I had custom plugin for user messages and those 10 and 11 deal with those (possible that the problem was exactly at the plugin, not sure)

so some of my problems could have been produced by this little hack of mine ...

5) I had tinymce and user comments were in html. after importing, the comments are shown in plain txt. When i click edit, I do see the html version. I disabled htmlpurifier plugin, but with no effect. Is there some WYSIWYG editor plugin which i could try and test how the content behaves

6) categories have been imported correctly. however when I click edit on existing (imported) discussion, the Category drop-down is empty (same when adding new discussion)

7) preview discussion shows some errors. is this normal?
if needed I can post the error.

8) I would like to help translating vanilla into bulgarian. is it ok to start translate (the strings are more or less stable?)
Also it would be nice if all the plugins are also forced to be "translation ready"

9) I had problems logging in with my imported user. I sorted it out by setting its flag Admin to true in table GDN_table (did not have time to look deeper into possible explanations). I was getting no match when I used my email and password, when I tried with old username and password I got: access denied

regards,
Robert

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2009
    regarding question 7 - the same happens on this forum, so i suppose that it is normal? ;)

some more thoughts:

10) it would be nice if plugins and forum could be auto updated (or at least have stable git repositories, where from one could pull)

11) it seems that account attributes are lost during import
    the one that are set as: field:value pairs on user profile page

12) maybe someone could make importing from most popular plugins from vanilla 1 to 2
    for example, there is profile picture now, while earlier we used Account Pictures (or similar)
    this is something that community could get involved

13) are there rss/atom feeds?
    activity page is just great for that
    and all discussions, too

14) it seems that the forums are not sending mails when Recover password feature is used (tested it on this forum, too)
  • Options
    ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    Lot to go through here, but thanks for the comments. A few answers to start:

5) I'll have to check on the html think. Html purifier is supposed to allow some html. A wysiwyg editor plugin will be available, but isn't currently.

6) Check the permissions assigned to each category?

7) Can you post the error?

8) Most of the translations are ready to go. Good idea on the plugins.

9) I'll have to test this. Can you give me a rundown of your specific situation without giving me your passwords;)

10) Auto-updating is in the pipeline, but will take some time.

12) There are feeds, but I don't think they are fully incorporated yet.

14) Hmm, I just checked the email and it worked. Did you check for spam? I did see a bug in this feature though.

• Options
    edited October 2009
    thanks for replying

6) correct, the problem was in category permissions

7) it works here now. I git pulled and it works at my server, too.

14) i did check spam folder too. however now it seems to work, so, it is fixed, or I had email problems then, i don't know :)

I will update later with more info
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    promised update:
    i reinstalled vanilla2 and the fetching of data from v1 went great (thanks!)

I saw what was the login problem, I mentioned earlier - because I had custom admin role for myself, it did not have assigned permissions, so this role had no SignIn privileges

so the remaining questions are:

2) is it possible to keep old URLs when importing? I mean: user ID, discussion IDs, etc? changing structure of working URLs of whole site is a no-no
    I believe that this could be achieved

3) as i said: an 'updating from vanill 1' checkbox, could make creating new admin user not necessary

11) it seems that account attributes are lost during import the one that are set as: field:value pairs on user profile page

15) is there an 'Mark all read' button?

thanks, Robbie