Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

installation/login error [HELP!?!]

edited October 2009 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Running on an Nginx server from a subdirectory /forum/ - i emulated the rewrite rules - all is well.
I installed fresh from github as of today - but after i finished the install, added my Admin account
I come to a 'you dont have permission to view this resource' page.

When i then try to login - i am not met with any error - in fact the login works fine (validation, etc...), however when i am sent back to the 'home' page and there is no evidence of having logged in, no menus are different - still says 'howdy stranger'. the database tables are updated showing i DID login - however the session isn't sticking.

Any suggestions?

*UPDATE*

this is the issue
http://github.com/lussumo/Garden/issues#issue/11

see end of thread for solution.

Comments

• Options
    lucluc ✭✭
    When I created a new user and give him the admin right, I had the same thing, in the database, I had to manually add admin rights for the user (I used the first admin user as a template).

It worked fine afterwards. I meant to create an issue for this after having reproduced all the steps, but I completely forgot :)
  • Options
    actually this happens even if i register as a new user.
    the first user i created has admin rights (checked both tables in the db).

i think the problem is a session or cookie storing error. this happens in all browsers. the login is successful but it acts as tho i didn't login.
  • Options
    lucluc ✭✭
    Sorry, I didn't read the full post, your first paragraph was looking a lot like what happened to me.

And you're right, seems to be a cookie issue.

Check with firebug and such to find out what's going on.
  • Options
    I just checked with firebug (cookie plugin) and there is nothing being set by vanilla. I assume there should be?

Any ideas on why nothing is being set? I have pulled from the latest github master.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I looked closer by modifying the ajaxform.js file i logged the response to firebug and saw that vanilla IS returning a cookie - but it sadly isn't being stored anywhere. Of course my browsers are all set to accept cookies - and i can even accept cookies on the same domain - but not from vanilla.

Pretty confused by this now - - - I've tested it on multiple machines and on about 5 different browsers.

Any ideas what is going on here?
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Bump.

Actually - I was doing some testing in Opera - and i see that the cookie IS being sent AND stored. That' throws out the cookie problem - what is going on?! why won't the dashboard display - or any other changes the show i've logged in? (even tho i have according to the cookie and the DB)

_no one_ has any ideas here?
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    This sounds like the same issue as I am experiencing here (http://github.com/lussumo/Garden/issues#issue/146).
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Thank you so much for a reply.

I reverted that file back to the commit that you reported it working on - but it actually didn't change my problem at all.

===

I just reinstalled from github. The problem persists.

===

Right after filling in the fields during installation - i see the url change from /step/2 to /step/3 to /step/4 or whatever - and then i land on "you dont have permission to see this" - assumingly because it is redirecting me to an admin interface ~ however my login doesn't take. If i login after this - i am met with the same problem. It will report a bad login - but a successful one will not allow me to view the dashboard or anything else.
  • Options
    See the last part of your issue eg. "but a successful one will not allow me to view the dashboard or anything else." sounds extremely similar to what's happening with me. I tried @Todd's latest commit (http://github.com/lussumo/Garden/blob/db18da4664066f051035f1b7a543ee1be1b6b05b/library/core/class.url.php) and that has fixed my issue.

I would suggest you try installing that one and clear all your cookies.Let me know how you go!
  • Options
    @MichaelR , @Todd -

Just tried again - this didn't fix. i think the difference between our problems is that you were having the same default route show up - i can navigate anywhere fine, its just when i login - it will still say 'sign in'

Sadly i am running out of time with this problem - if anyone has some other suggestions, i'd appreciate the help here.
  • Options
    Have you submitted this issue to the issue tracker?

http://github.com/lussumo/Garden/issues
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    as soon as i went to the issue tracker i found out what the problem is.

http://github.com/lussumo/Garden/issues#issue/11

this is fixed by editing /conf/config.php

$Configuration['Garden']['Cookie']['Domain'] = 'domain:port';

to:

$Configuration['Garden']['Cookie']['Domain'] = 'domain';