Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Vanilla IRC room?

edited October 2009 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I really think this should happen - It's good for everyone, the users, the devs, its faster and a happier place to get a project up. esp. one that is just starting out like Vanilla 2 - - - would the devs and commiters spend time there? I know a lot of people working on their own forums would love it.

Comments

• Options
    SS ✭✭
    http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/9749/irc-for-garden-developers/

IRC is for talking, not for discussion. I don't mind for IRC channel (create it at freenode). I will practice my English there =)
  • Options
    the benefit is when users are having problems with something - they can get help from others far faster than using the discussion forums. A lot of other open source projects use the service to help their user base understand and problem solve, i personally use it frequently with habari, couchdb or even jquery. BBpress has one, wordpress has one, git has one - to be honest there is no reason for it not to be used.

But if the devs are too busy or whatever, I can see why it hasn't been started.
  • Options
    i mean the downside to not having an irc room is when you need help. For example I have a post on the discussion forum here about a problem i am having with permissions/cookies not working correctly on a fresh install of the latest from github (i've tried reinstalling twice) - and it has basically halted my work for 24hrs so far - who knows how long the problem will persist until it gets sorted out. with infrequent posts.

I am sure there are devs, or veteran vanilla users online right now - but short of them refreshing the discussion page every ten minutes there isn't anyway to talk to someone. With so many other open-source projects using IRC to help the adopting user base - it really seems like a smart way to stay focused on everything and just communicate with each other about the challenges and solutions. There is no downside if it is properly managed.

That's my 2-cents on the subject.
  • Options
    Hi to all,

We are looking for a plugin chat well integrated into on vanilla that will be able to use ower existing users stored into the database.

Thanx for any help.
    Phil.
  • Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin
    I registered #vanillaforums on freenode if anyone wants to drop in. I'm "Linc" on there.

Can't promise live support but it'd be fun to get other devs in there.