Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

PHP Safe Mode and Vanilla 2

Here's the error I get while attempting to install Vanilla 2 on my host (NearlyFreeSpeech.net)

mkdir() [function.mkdir]: SAFE MODE Restriction in effect. The script whose uid/gid is 155919/155919 is not allowed to access /f5/btbb/public/forum/cache/Smarty owned by uid/gid 25000/25000

It is strange because I can then scroll down and complete the form for installation but I continually get these controller dumps and "Fatal Error in PHP.ErrorHandler();" They generally point for the Smarty templating system and it's cache folder.

Comments

• The neat thing is i can switch between strict and a slower, non-strict version of PHP. Both 5.2. If I do a fresh install on the non-strict it works perfectly fine but I run my WP blog using the strict version so a figure a fairly complex script can run in Strict. I'm willing to help conduct tests for my host and would really like to run Vanilla 2 using PHP strict mode if possible.
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    "Safe mode" is a PHP setting that needs to be disabled.

Strict mode is fine for development; I wouldn't recommend setting that on a production server even if it's supposed to work in strict.
  • ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    What Lincoln said, but you can try creating the following directories yourself:

/cache/Smarty/cache

/cache/Smarty/compile

The application needs to be able to write to them.