Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Question regarding encoding rules

edited October 2009 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Sorry if this is documented some place, but so far I didn't find anything related:
my forum runs using a custom language pack ("Deutsch-formal-1.1.5a"). All strings defined in this AddOn's definitions.php are encoded correctly, no matter whether they contains special characters or not.
Some of the other installed Add-Ons don't come with their own translation. So I translated some of the installed Add-Ons' strings in /conf/language.php as is recommended in /conf/readme.txt.
What happens though is that strings that are translated inside /conf/language.php don't seem to follow the standard encoding rules. This means that I have to encode my translations myself e.g. writing "[ampersand]uml[semicolon]" instead of "ü".

So my questions are:
  • is there some global file that is giving the encoding rules for the entire forum?
  • why are strings from \languages\Deutsch-formal-1.1.5a\definitions.php encoded correctly while strings from other files aren't?