Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Why haven't you pick the Zend Framework ?

edited October 2009 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Hey guys,
I am new to Vanilla, I was looking for an open source and well-written forum board that allows me to implement a SSO feature. I ran into the code of Garden/Vanilla and it seems that you use your own framework, Garden for instance. So here is my question : why did you choose to create your own framework ? The Zend Framework didn't fit your needs at the time ? I am just curious because I am a Zend Framework user and when I looked your code, it was obvious to me that the Zend Framework would have been a very good choice since it offers most of the features you wrote.

Could you explain me why you chose to create a framework from scratch ?

Regards,
Gabriel.

Comments

• Options
    The same question could apply to you, why did you pick the zend framework and not like cakephp or codeigniter... (list goes on). I assume you chose it because it worked in a way you felt comfortable with and was coded in a manner that you thought was nicer than the other frameworks. I would assume that the same was true for garden/vanilla. I'm not trying to speak for Mark, but i would imagine if your going to create a large application knowing the source code that your basing off would be a necessity. I'm sure it makes licensing easier as you will not have to abide by the license set by another framework as well.
  • Options
    Sure I understand that, yet I asked because when I looked Garden code it seemed very similar to the Zend Framework in term of structure and functionalities.

Thanks for the reply.
  • Options
    From what I understand, Garden is a framework targeting PHP5 specifically, so from that standpoint it has a lot less redundant code compared to other multitargeted frameworks. Personally when I used Zen, the learning curve was extremely high, and the performance was really really bad, but that's slowly getting better. You'll probably find that Garden has a different set of goals and ideals, compared to something as broadly reaching as Zen, even though they may be similar in features/structure.