Fork me on GitHub
Current releases are 2.1.5 (31 Oct 2014) and 2.0.18.13 (5 Aug 2014)

Ready for 2.1? Find out if your plugins are compatible. 2.0 will no longer be updated after Dec 2014.

Status of Email notifications

FoxyFredFoxyFred New
edited December 2009 in Vanilla 2.0 Help
Hello, developers!

First off, let me say that I am impressed with the quality of the Vanilla 2 and Garden codebase! So far, I haven't found any of the heinous crimes that PHP allows one to commit, and it seems like you have a sensible OO design and plugin architecture.

I work for FoxyCart, and we have a pretty large Vanilla 1 board that we'd like to move to Vanilla 2; there are many new features that we would really enjoy. One old feature, though, that we use a lot is the email notification feature. I see that it's planned in your roadmap, and I'm wondering how much of that is completed right now.

I like what I see so far with regard to notifications, and I'm wondering if email support is just around the corner, or if I should dive in and write a notification plugin myself. The main things we like about the current notifications are:
- Per-category new conversation notifications. (we want to know when people ask new questions)
- Conversation updates that notice when we visit the forum. (we want to know when someone updates a conversation, but email's not important if we're currently working on the board)

The most important feature of a new notification system for us is that it imports the old notification settings, so that people who are currently subscribed continue to receive updates.

Anyway, it'd be great if someone could tell me the status of all of this before I go even deeper into the Garden / Vanilla 2 code. Thanks in advance! :-)

Comments