Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Please Help with Insight on Vanilla Versions

edited December 2009 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
It seems to be quite difficult to locate clear information in regards to Vanilla 1 vs. Vanilla 2 so I am requesting some clarification, or at lease a link to the text that describes this.

I have been using Vanilla for years now (Installed via GoDaddy) and am currently using Version 1.1.4 - I would like to upgrade to the newest version but cannot find upgrade instructions for going from 1.1.4 to 1.1.10 and attempting to follow the upgrade instructions for 1.1.9 to 1.1.10 proved unsuccessful. If someone could tell me how to do this upgrade I would appreciate it.

Additionally, when is Vanilla 2 coming available and what is the difference between that and Vanilla 1.1.10? I'm sure there must be a page somewhere comparing the two but I am at a loss in attempting to locate such a page.

Also, what is this new blue theme called and can it be downloaded for Vanilla 1.x? If so, what is the name of it so that I can locate it?

Lastly, I wouldn't mind doing a fresh install of vanilla in a new directory but would hate to lose the thousands of discussions on my website. Given that, is it possible to do a new Vanilla install and simply attach it to the database for the current Vanilla install so that I lose nothing? If so, can you point me to the documentation for doing so, or if none exist can you tell me what files contain the code to connect to my current database so that I know which ones I need to edit in order to connect a fresh install to my current database.

Thank you very much in advance for any assistance provided, I love Vanilla and wish to continue using it but I am running low on patience when it comes to upgrading.

Thanks!

Comments

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    I'm not familiar with the Vanilla 1 upgrade process (paging @SubJunk), but Vanilla 2 is still under development with no announced arrival date yet. The blue theme you see here is the base theme for Vanilla 2, which this board is now using. There aren't any plans to migrate it back to v1 as far as I know.

I don't know of any documentation comparing the two versions yet, but v2 is a complete re-write of the code base. You might try browsing the Documentation to get a feel for what's changed. :)
  • I don't think upgrading from 1.1.4 to 1.1.10 would be a problem. Just make a backup of your database and your 1.1.4 forum, then overwrite the 1.1.4 files with 1.1.10 and see if it works.

If it somehow doesn't work, you just restore the backups and no harm done :)
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    There is some information on Vanilla 1 vs Vanilla 2 on the wiki: http://vanillaforums.org/page/aboutus