Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Help on Upgrading Vanilla 2

mclovinmclovin New
edited December 2009 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I am using a month-old Vanilla 2 snapshot in production. Since then, quite a few bugs have been fixed and I am trying to upgrade now using the same database.

I grabbed the latest code, modified the config.php and provided the old database info. But it still wants me to go through the installation process and tries to create an admin user again, which I already have.

Any advice on how to do upgrade will be highly appreciated.

Comments

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    You shouldn't modify the config file or do anything to the database. You should be able to simply drop the new files in.

Did you start from scratch on the config file? Stuff like $Configuration['Garden']['Cookie']['Salt'] only gets generated during the setup, I think. You could just run the install again and delete the new admin user manually.
  • If I run the installer and create the admin again, are you sure it doesn't delete the tables and regenerate them?
  • I did the updrade by going through the installation process. It kept the users and a few things intact, but it wiped out the other tables.

I lost all my data.
  • lucluc ✭✭
    edited December 2009
    Well, to update you should have updated with "git pull".
    I did that repeatedly without issue.

Otherwise, going through an installation process, you should have made a backup of your database.
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited December 2009
    @mclovin Sorry man, that sucks. :-/ Do you have any tools available like phpmyadmin to view the database directly to see what's going on?

As far as I can know, the install process doesn't delete or drop anything by default. If you ran through the install process and your discussions are gone, then they were probably gone before the install began. If the install process wiped them, then I have no idea what happened and am not reading the structure files correctly.