Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Upgrade from 1.1.4 to 1.1.10 + other newb questions

edited January 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Very new here. Just took over development of a site that is running a 1.1.4 Vanilla install.

New version of the site and forum overhaul scheduled for early Feb, so I'm guessing Vanilla 1 is what I should go with, and upgrade later. I'm guessing Vanilla 2 will be an easy upgrade - or hoping.

I'm completely green with Vanilla. I've got a bunch of noob questions regarding upgrading, testing a new theme in the forum while the old version is still live. I did a search but didn't get the answers I need, and I apologize if I missed them.

1) So, looking at the installation upgrade instructions on Google, I don't see instructions to upgrade from 1.1.4 to 1.1.10 (shouldn't that be 1.1.2 ?? :)

So I'm looking for guidance on how to do that - how do I upgrade from 1.1.4 to 1.1.10, by downloading the newest version and going through the list, dropping files in as I go? Should I just overwrite the entire directory, aside from any config files?

2) Also, I'll be creating a new theme / skin / whatever for the forum, and I'm wondering how I can test it while the current theme is live. Is there a "test drive" that I can do?

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you for taking the time to read my noob post. I'm willing to pay for consulting if necessary.

Comments

• Options
    @cloudesign: Welcome to the community forum.

1) To upgrade you just replace the files.

2) There's no test drive feature. It's usually a good idea to set up a separate development version anyway to do tests before applying an update
  • Options
    @cloudesign: Also, no it shouldn't be 1.1.2 because that is less than 1.1.4, there has already been 1.1.2 over 3 years ago ;) It also shouldn't be 1.2 because of the versioning system we have chosen, a change to the first decimal place indicates a release that needs instructions to upgrade, while a change to the second decimal place indicates a release that can be upgraded by simply putting the new files on the server.
  • Options
    so can I run another installation using the same database? I'd like it to have actual content if possible...
  • Options
    To clarify my question, I'd like to install a new version of Vanilla on the server to test and skin, and preferably use the content / database that is on the current Vanilla forum.

Is this possible?

• Options
    Yes. Just reuse the same database info.