Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter
Support for Vanilla Forums Cloud product

In this Discussion

Follow Us

Courteous Autoload Method

edited January 2010 in Feedback
Vanilla 2 Code Suggestion:

use spl_autoload_register('your_autoload_function'); instead of __autoload($ClassName); so other code may register their own autoload function.

in /library/core/functions.general.php
Tagged:

Comments

• Let's say you had a preexisting __autoload that isn't going to change. Is it possible to rename the Vanilla 2 version?
  • In case others come across this, the answer was to literally rename the Vanilla 2 __autoload function to something else (like "vanillaAutoload"), then call this function AFTER it.

spl_autoload_register('vanillaAutoload');
  • ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    I think this is a good idea. I will get it in the core.

@andyblackwell, @chriscoyier, are there any drawbacks to sp_autoload_register that you know of?
  • There are a couple of other places that call __autoload directly that will need to be changed as well, like class.controller.php -- I think there are 2-3 files that need the function name change.
  • I bump into this limitation, see here : http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/12676/how-to-properly-add-an-additional-vendor-library-to-vanilla-2.0.3-/p1

I got difficulties to add a third party library which made use of spl_autoload_register to register its autoloader.

It's not very hard once we know the tricks to register the __autoload method on the __autoload stack (see http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.spl-autoload-register.php) but it won't be a solution if 2 enabled plugins do the same, so vanilla definitely need to register its autoloader with spl_autoload_register.
    This has been changed in our unstable branch, so it will be getting released shortly. Actually, I put the following method in which I guess I should ask here if people know whether or not it will cause any problems (it doesn't seem to).
    if (!function_exists('__autoload')) {
    function __autoload($ClassName) {
    trigger_error('__autoload() is deprecated. Use sp_autoload_call() instead.', E_USER_DEPRECATED);
    spl_autoload_call($ClassName);
    }
    }
  • Why not totally remove it ?
    the main change was to rename __autoload to for example vanillaAutoloader and call spl_autoload_register just after the function declaration as suggested by chriscoyier.

While googling for my autoload problem with vanilla I found this :
    http://aaronsaray.com/blog/2008/09/29/php-spl-autoload-3-simple-rules-you-must-follow/

And one of his rule is that "Custom autoload functions should not have a failure consequence"

I think this his because a third party library could check also with function_exist if an autoload is already defined and add it to the stack if TRUE with spl_autoload_register('__autoload').

So imo it's better to remove the __autoload method if it's not needed anymore and "just let it crash" if another part of the code use it instead of spl_autoload_call
    I want to stop with removing functions in case plugins call them. It's one of those things where it gets deprecated for a few versions and then removed once people have had time to remove it.

Our code doesn't call it anymore though.