Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

V2

edited January 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Hello...

After a lot of thought I've decided Vanilla is the right solution to be integrated into a new project of mine. It's lite, flexible and open-source - which I love.

However, I've searched and searched but can't find anything on a predicted stable release date for V2. Is there anything? I'm sure it's probably in the most obvious place but I've looked over quite a few posts, roadmap etc but to no avail.

Good luck to everyone working on this unfolding project by the way - it's amazing! It deserves to get to the popularity heights of WP et al.

Cheers,

Tim

Comments

• Options
    As far as I know, Vanilla 2 is still in beta stage and as such the database may change big time, making it unstable to use.

Rich::
  • Options
    Hey Rich - yeah I understand that but just would be great to know the kind of timescales we are looking at. If it's more than a year, I may need to look elsewhere :)
  • Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin
    The official release date is "when it's done." ;) Still some heavy-lifting to do in the code base, but the database is fairly stable. I don't really recommend basing a project on it quite yet though.
  • Options
    That's a shame...ok cool - thank you for your response Lincoln!
  • Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited January 2010
    If this helps, here's the Road Map. There's no dates, but it gives an idea of the scope of what's left: http://vanillaforums.org/page/ProductRoadMap

Note that the Single Sign On, email notifications, and admin UI points are done. Not sure about the vf.com-related points.
  • Options
    Thanks - I had already had a brief look at that. V exciting!

Do you think 6 months is too optimistic or is really just 'up in the air' with regards to getting it near to completion?

Also, if I installed the beta now - would we be able to easily upgrade to V2 when complete - there be no data in our tables as we would be launching in June.

Cheers.
  • Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin
    Personally (no insider info) I think 6 months is pessimistic. All the work being done is polish and improvements to what's in place. There aren't major features missing or anything.