Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Forum in a site

edited January 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Hi,

I have a client who needs a forum within a wordpress site. So basically I have the content area which will be the forum, and then sidebars for blog entries, and then the blog beneath the forum area.

Is it possible with Vanilla?

Comments

• Options
    Anyone able to let me know here?
  • Options
    Ok, rethinking this.

Can I publish a feed from the Vanilla forum and then have it display within a Div on a wordpress installation?
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    With Vanilla 2 you'd need to create a theme for Vanilla that looks like your wordpress blog. It typically involves editing your master view and main style.css file to look like your blog, and then enabling that theme. We have a theming quick-start guide here: http://vanillaforums.org/page/ThemeQuickStart
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    re: feeds - You can get at Vanilla feeds in this way, yes. For example, the feed for our main discussion list on this forum is here: http://vanillaforums.org/rss/discussions
  • Options
    Yeah that's pretty much what I need. To have the top 10 discussions listed on a central div, with a right sidebar for my blog entries.

• Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    We don't have any out-of-the-box code for that, but I'm sure there must be some canned php code for grabbing rss feeds out there. Here's something I found on a quick search: http://ryanbosinger.com/blog/2009/grab-rss-feed-with-php/
  • Options
    Oh right, well I'm basically looking for an out of the box simple solution. I notice on this forum you have something called Recent Activity? That's pretty much what I want.
  • Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited January 2010
    Doesn't Wordpress have a built-in widget for displaying an RSS feed's content? I know it has MagPie built in, which is RSS-grabbing software, and there are plugins for that at the very least.

A more elegant solution would be a plugin that grabs latest Discussions directly from the database, but that doesn't exist (yet).
  • Options
    Well what's Recent Activity? That seems to be a way to grab the latest discussions.
  • Options
    lucluc ✭✭
    That's nothing like the discussions.
  • Options
    What does recent activity pull? Forum posts isn't it?
  • Options
    lucluc ✭✭
    No.
  • Options
    kjk
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Right, so my next question would be, is there an RSS feed for Forum discussions?
  • Options
    lucluc ✭✭
    Activities.

Just look what in it in the community forum, it does what it says on the tin..
  • Options
    Yeah I know, I moved on.

I'm just wondering if there is an rss feed for forum posts.
  • Options
    lucluc ✭✭
    It's easy to say you moved on, when you just edit your post to completely change it...
  • Options
    Why are you arguing with me? All I wanted to know is if I can grab an rss feed of latest posts.