Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Wordpress permalinks setting breaks Vanilla - any solution?

edited February 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Hi,

A website I'm developing is running wordpress, with (edited!) wp running in the root directory, and Vanilla in its own directory underneath that. The only integration I have done between the two is including the wordpress /wp-blog-header.php file to allow me to share the menus, header and footer.

The forum is here:
http://213.175.217.160/~totalcri/total-cricket-forum/

Everything was working fine until I set a permalink structure in Wordpress (/%category%/%postname%/)

Doing that seems to prevent Vanilla's ajax get calls from working - for example clicking on the 'sign in' link fails (the lightbox opens but never loads the signin form)

Using Firebug, I can see that the ajax getting the following url was returning a 404, despite it working fine if I go straight to that URL
/index.php/entry/?Target=discussions&DeliveryType=VIEW

Turning off Wordpress permalinks solves the problem, but isn't something I want to do (for SEO and usability reasons).

My understanding of permalinks is sketchy to say the least - is there a way to override what I've set in Wordpress for the Vanilla directory? Or another solution?

All help appreciated!

Thanks
Tom

Comments

• Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited February 2010
    There's probably a conflict between the .htaccess file settings required between the two.

//edit: There's only 1 "root directory" for a website and you don't have Vanilla in it. ;) Yours is in a subfolder, which is fine.

This sounds like a pretty complex issue; I don't know why it would effect only Ajax calls and not direct ones.
  • Options
    Thanks for replying.

So do permalinks have to be set at a per-site basis, not overrideable at a lower directory?

(Root directory - sorry, typo! :-)
  • Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin
    Honestly I just don't have any great insight on this one, but I expect I'll run into it soon as I'm trying to set up a site with similar requirements. I'll bookmark this and come back if I do and find the solution. Hopefully someone else will have a better idea in the meantime - there's too much overhead for me to set up everything to duplicate the problem today, sorry. :-/
  • Options
    read the howto written by TerminalAddict (on this forum)