Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

How to cope with auto-refresh browsers?

edited February 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Any suggestions for limiting the number of times/hour a particular user can refresh a page?
I have a user that is using the Opera browser which has an automatic refresh function - so his browser is refreshing the same page every 5 minutes, all day everyday. This obviously could eat up my servers bandwidth/CPU. My current forum software doesn't need to re-create the page unless a new message has been posted (the pages are not unique for each user), so I have implemented "Last-Modified" HTTP caching, so it's not too much of a problem.

Given that Vanilla is dynamically re-creating the pages each time, and there is no caching (?), could this mean that both the CPU and the bandwidth might be significantly more if I used Vanilla?

Does Vanilla have some functionality to guard against this (caching?, per user bandwith limit?)?

Comments

• Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    Vanilla 2 uses last-modified http headers as well. Vanilla 1, however, did not.