Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Is there a simple example import script/doc?

edited February 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Is there a simple example script showing how to import users and posts into Vanilla from another (in my case, file-based) forum?

I've seen the phpBB import script that was mention here, but I wonder if there is a clearer official docs/example that shows how, and what is necessary, to create users and posts, either directly in the mysql database or maybe by calling the internal Vanilla functions?

I guess I could work it out for myself by trawling through the code/database structures, but it would be great to have some definitive docs/example on e.g. which of the many SQL fields are necessary to set when you create a user or comment.

Comments

• Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    First thing's first: what system are you importing from?
  • Options
    phpbb here, hoping to use v2
  • Options
    The current forum is using a customised version of a very old release of WWWBoard.
  • Options
    Hi Mark - I notice you commented on my post:
    http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/10684/is-there-a-simple-example-import-scriptdoc
    so it looked as if you might be able to help me. But then bobtheman butted in before I answered, so maybe you didn't notice my reply :)
    I'm just about to start attempting to import my file-based forum into Vanilla 1, so if you have any hints that would be great!
    Thanks,
    Woll
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    We're working on a standalone exporter for other systems that will dump to a standardized format we came up with. This file can then be imported into Vanilla 2 with some other code we've written. We're working with some members of the community on getting implementations for vBulletin and phpBB at the moment. More to follow.
  • Options
    @Mark
    Great, sounds fantastic. Thanks for the update