Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

View mode only?

edited March 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I am a web developer and want to show Vanilla on my website as an example to my clients of a forum that can be used on their site, too. However, I do NOT want anyone to actually use this forum. I will post a couple example posts, but do not want anyone to be able to apply for membership or post on there. I was using another forum and the spam was terrible just on my example forum. I had SSSSOOO many spambots that i had to remove as well as removing all their bogus posts. So, is there a way to only view the forum as an example, but turn off membership and posting capabilities?

Comments

• lucluc ✭✭
    You could set all new "registering people" to applicants. They can't log in until you accept them as member.
  • I was thinking about that, but I don't want to receive a ton of emails each day asking if bots can be accepted into membership. How good is the spam filter on this program?
  • If it's a dev forum, just turn ff notification of new member requests?

However, if you just want people to be able to browse the forums and not post, can't you just turn off applications and be done with it? Isn't that simpler?