Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Don't expect Vanilla2 to be released before...

candymancandyman ✭✭
edited April 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
It's an old story: Mark has shown the world the power&beauty of Vanilla2
and excited users can't wait too long.
So, almost everyday we have to read the infamous question "When
Vanilla2 will be released?" and the old-fashioned answer "When it's
ready".
On the other side there is a lot of people in standby that can't
use a pre-RC on a live installation and they hope that the announcement is near.
No one know how near is, except Mark.
So, officially, I'm asking Mark to give us an answer: not a precise
date but almost a season.
For example: "Don't expect Vanilla2 RC before May 2011".
It would be a reasonable solution.
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    RC should be available within the next 3-5 months im guessing :D mark needs to basically finish all of this http://vanillaforums.org/page/ProductRoadMap be patient and when you are scripting anything can happen i.e find new bugs etc also things might happen at home that might affect the development. So please stop asking this question i know loads of people are eager to find out.
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    Yes - there are still lingering bugs, and there are a handful of features, improvements, and cleanup that we need to do. We are also very focused on turning VanillaForums.com into a profitable business. Without the success of VanillaForums.com, there will be no Vanilla. We are working very diligently on the one side so we can continue to work on the other.

That being said: the biggest thing holding us back from wide-release is cross-platform testing. After the release of Vanilla 1, there were about five months of extremely intense bug reports from people with varied operating systems, varied versions of php, varied versions of php modules, varied versions of mysql, all with extremely varied configuration settings. This caused an insane amount of inbound bugs as we came across issues that we never could have possibly anticipated. We want to get Vanilla out the doors, but we're focused on getting it very stable on *our own* platform first. We are still ironing out the kinks - and there has even been a handful of times that this site has been affected by lingering bugs.
  • Options
    @Mark with the varied php versions can you say php 5+ is reccomended also mysql you could do the same. and awesome work again :D
  • Options
    @isolationz I opened this thread to help Mark stopping people from asking the day of release...

@Mark Many thanks for the answer: I didn't know about the VanillaForums.com importance

So, people, don't expect a RC of Vanilla2 before this autumn.
  • Options
    @candyman sorry just trying to help