Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Recommended setup for Rackspace Cloud Servers

edited April 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Dear Vanilla team,
I attempted to install Vanilla 2 on a Rackspace Cloud Site (that's Site, not Server) and discovered it isn't possible because Clouse Sites don't support MySQL full text indexes. My next option is to run up a Cloud Server. Given that this is the same platform you guys use for the hosted Vanilla forums at Vanilla.com, I was wondering whether you could recommend an OS config (server image) that you've found works best with Vanilla 2?

RS offers a bewildering assortment (Ubuntu, Debian, Centos, Fedora, Red Hat etc.) - thought I'd check whether you had a preference.

Cheers.

Comments

• Ubuntu i use at home :D thats really good
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    I think it's all about personal choice and "what you're used to". We use chose Ubuntu because it has a pretty good support community, and we are big fans of apt-get.

I actually didn't know that cloud sites doesn't support fulltext indexing. That's total bs if you ask me. Makes me think we should consider having a non-fulltext version of search that just does straight LIKE comparisons for smaller forums. @Todd - what do you think?
  • Thanks Mark. I'll give it a try with Ubuntu.

The error I received installing V2 on my Cloud Site is in this discussion with Rackspace's response:
    http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/10882/fatal-error-in-gdn_database.query/