Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Assigning roles to users

edited April 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I want to set up a forum visible to only some users.
I've made
- a Role "Developer",
- a Category "RubyQ" visible to Developer and Admin,
- logged off, applied for membership as Roland,
- logged back on as admin and accepted Roland.
Now I want to assign the role Developer to the user Roland.
How do I do that?

thanks

Comments

• Options
    Go to the Users page in the Dashboard, then Edit Roland to assign roles.
  • Options
    I'm sorry. I'm quite new to this. My IP server set up the forum for me and I'm figuring out how to manage it. This is Vanilla 1.1.10 if that's useful.

I don't know what you mean by the Dashboard. When I log on as admin I see five tabs: Discussions, Categories, Search, Settings, Account.
    Is there something I'm not seeing that I should ask my guy about?

thanks
  • Options
    Oh right you're using Vanilla 1 -- shouldn't there be a Change Role link on the Roland's profile page?
  • Options
    Change Role is on admin's Account page but not Roland's. I don't want users to change their own roles, anyway - I want to assign them.

I've asked our guy and he's looking at versions, thinking about Vanilla 2.
    But surely this is something you'd want to do in any version.
  • Options
    StashStash
    edited April 2010
    @Roland
    1. Sign in as admin
    2. Search
    3. Check "Users" and hit the Search button
    4. You should see a list of users on the forum now, including "Roland", clickon "Roland"
    5. In the Panel (left by default) click "Change Role"
    6. Use the "Choose a New Role" dropdown menu to select "Developer" and hit the "Change Role" button
    Then you can add the "Change user roles" ability to the "Developer" role under "Settings" > "Roles & Permissions".