Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

[New Plugin] Twitter Feeds for Vanilla 2

oliverraduneroliverraduner Contributing to Vanilla since 2010Switzerland ✭✭
edited June 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Inspired by @paul0r's "Twitter Feed" for Vanilla 1, I made my own Twitter-Plugin for Vanilla 2.
Tested with the latest version of Vanilla, RC2.

→ Grab "Twitter Feeds" here: http://vanillaforums.org/addon/563/twitter-feeds

There are some custom settings one can define, in order to enable features such like hovercards (information about a mentioned Twitter-Username) or to add a Follow-Button.

The plugin adds 1 new column to the GDN_User table in order to save a user's Twitter screenname.

Comments

• Options
    TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    Nice work @oliverraduner!

I noticed that you use a hardcoded Twitter API key in your plugin. I'm concerned that if your plugin gets popular, that API key will run out of calls. Perhaps you'd consider making that a setting somehow.

We threw around some ideas today about how to make this process easier, but for now you would need to do all the work yourself >.<

Overall though, pretty cool :)

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• Options
    oliverraduneroliverraduner Contributing to Vanilla since 2010 Switzerland ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Ha, that's actually a very good point @Tim. I just checked the Twitter API documentation and I have good news - or let's say, there should not be an issue with the call rate limit:
    The default rate limit for calls to the REST API is 150 requests per hour. The REST API does account- and IP-based rate limiting. Authenticated API calls are charged to the authenticating user's limit while unauthenticated API calls are deducted from the calling IP address' allotment.
    Source: http://apiwiki.twitter.com/Rate-limiting

After reading it, it makes totally sense. Imagine how complicated it would get, if every user of a particular application that makes use of the TAPI would need to sign-up for a separate API-Key! :-)
  • Options
    TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    Sounds good! :)

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• Options
    @Tim "We threw around some ideas today about how to make this process easier, but for now you would need to do all the work yourself >.<"
    Please, make localization process easier.
    Give us some feedback and place to work, to make it right way
  • Options
    I just installed this plugin but cannot seem to figure out how to use it. There does not appear to be any setting in the profile page to make this work...
  • Options
    oliverraduneroliverraduner Contributing to Vanilla since 2010 Switzerland ✭✭
    edited May 2011
    @sublbc You can find a field to enter your Twitteraccount under
    Your Profile > My Account > Twitter Name

(I actually wanted to upload a screenshot showing this to the addon, but this functionality seems to be broken right now)