Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Change layout of V2 front page

edited July 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I tried to find a clear explanation of this, but it looks like it's a pretty serious theming issue...

Can anyone point me to documentation and/or offer help with rearranging the layout of the discussion page? I'd really like to make the front view something like this:

Top: 5 most recent discussions in any category.

Below that, each category, with a description, and the title of the most recent conversation.

The feedback I'm getting from the users I have trying out our new Vanilla 2 Forum is that the presentation of the front page as entirely a mix of latest discussions is confusing. I kind of like it, but I need to be responsive to them.

You can check out my site at: talk.neohouston.com

Comments

• Options
    TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    All of what you're asking for could be accomplished using a theme. There are some pretty clever themers in the community that might be able to help you out, and I wish you luck.

Perhaps @digibomb might even have some suggestions...

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• Options
    Right - clearly a theming issue, I just haven't been able to figure out where the front page lives, and I'm not sure I would know how to change how it works...
  • Options
    The main template file is /applications/dashboard/views/default.master.php

Each sub-page (what we call 'controllers') has its own view file(s) within their /applications//views// folders. For example, in http://www.vanillaforums.org/discussion/11407/change-layout-of-v2-front-page/ we can see that 'discussion' is the controller, so we'd look for its views in the /applications/vanilla/views/discussion/ folder.

• Options
    Oh, excellent - that helps a lot. If I want to override a single file in the "discussion" view, can I just place that in the views folder of my theme, or does it need to be in the same subfolder as it's found in the original application? ie - does discussions/index.php just go in 'mytheme/views' or does it go in 'mytheme/views/discussions/' ?
  • Options
    More like the second one, but there is another layer. I mentioned 'applications' in my post, and you should include the app name as well:

mytheme/vanilla/views/discussions/viewname.php

• Options
    Ok, that makes sense.
  • Options
    if you do make a custom theme, it would be great if you shared it with the community by posting it on the site :P