Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Notify

Comments

• Uploaded version 1.2.0 of Notify.
  • @root & Kick the Donkey

with version 1.2.0 a auto subscription is possible, just install it, open the conf/settings.php and change the entry NOTIFY_AUTO_ALL to 1. All
    "Notify to ..." links will disappear and every user will be notified...
  • Does setting NOTIFY_AUTO_ALL to 1 then remove the Notification option from the "My Accopunt" page?

Posted: Wednesday, 30 May 2007 at 7:40AM

• Yes, because is there any reason you'd need it then?
  • I should've been more specific with my request =P I have an "Announcements" category, and I'd like people to be notified of updates to it. (And while we're on the subject, can a different message be sent in stead of the one members get when being notified of something they *subscribed* to? E.g., "A new announcement has been made..." vs. "A new comment has been made to a thread you subscribed to...")

Thanks again, hutstein!
  • Great extension! About that rewrite urls, it doesn't seem to respect mod_rewrite as URL_BUILDING_METHOD. The URL in the message is still in the "old" form. May I also suggest using Discussion->Name somewhere in the message, to give the user a hint at which discussion the reply was to?
  • Quote: hutstein
    pic Yes, because is there any reason you'd need it then? pic
    Well, as admin I decide people are to get notifications so the option is on by default.
    However, what if individuals want the option to unsubscribe?

Posted: Thursday, 31 May 2007 at 7:38AM

• OK it's official, setting NOTIFY_AUTO_ALL to 1 pisses people off because they continually get emails every time a message is posted.

There needs to be a means for individuals to turn this off.

Posted: Friday, 1 June 2007 at 9:41AM

• It seems after I installed the version 1.20 of Notify, I do not get any notification when new members register for the forum? It used to work with the 0.xx versions?
  • I upgraded from 0.2 to 1.2 today and am getting the following error everytime I post something on my site Notice: Undefined variable: mTitle in /home2/vzx/public_html/temple/extensions/Notify/default.php on line 309 Notice: Undefined variable: mComment in /home2/vzx/public_html/temple/extensions/Notify/default.php on line 309 Notice: Undefined variable: mUser in /home2/vzx/public_html/temple/extensions/Notify/default.php on line 309 What am I doing wrong?
  • I just found out that the above error was related to setting NOTIFY_AUTO_ALL to 1. When I set it back to 0, I did not get any error. Strange! Can anyone explain what's happening over here?
  • lechlech Chicagoland
    What's happening: the notify extension is throwing errors.
  • Something was pointed out. If you subscribe to the forums, you get notified about updates in categories that the role you belong to can't view. Clicking the link simply says the thread can't be found. Anyway to have the addon check to see if you have the permissions to view the thread before emailing you?
  • I've tried to get this extension to work and wasn't successful. Are there debugging options to enable to figure out what's going on? FWIW, the Zip2Database plugin DOES work for me, i.e. I receive backups, so I'm pretty sure the email setup is fine.
  • Ok. I FINALLY got this working. Seems that I somehow accidently deleted my /js/ folder. Weird, eh? Anyways, here is my new question:

Using the global settings extension, how would I set so that everyone is notified for 1 specific category? and are notified of whispers sent to them? (Is that related to this extension?)

Also, how can we change the permissions so that people can't subscribe to full forums or categories by default (minus the one category that I can do with the global setting)? I don't mind if they subscribe and unsubscribe from their discussions, but I don't need them notified of all forum posts, especially since we haven't fixed the issue that it only notifies them of posts that apply to them.
  • When editing a user's settings as administrator (eg. through Search → Users), the "Notification" section does not show the user's settings, but the administrator's, thus not allowing an administrator to review and configure a specific user's notification settings. Is this behaviour intended? If so, I don't think the "Notification" section should show up at all for the administrator's panel, as it has nothing to do with a specific user other than the administrator himself.
  • I ran into the same issue as Afran. I'd like to be able to edit member's notifications, and the current setup does not allow me to.
  • Hello, thanks for the Notify plugin. It works for me, but I have one thing I'd like to improve; The link provided only links to the discussion; it would be better if it pointed to the first unread comment in one discussions like the links to discussions on the discussion grid.
  • I dont know what Im doing wrong, but I just installed this addon and no emails are coming through to me. I checked the mail settings and they are all fine. Even changed them to different accounts just in case. I have it set to notify me for everything. I made a couple test posts but nothing comes through. What should I be looking for? Thanks
This discussion has been closed.