Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Notify

edited December 2007 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Notify

Comments

• Options
    Great Plugin, something I think should be included in the core. Quick question:

Everything works great if you're logged in, but if you logout and are taken to the login page you see all sorts of MySQL query errors at the top of the page. Any idea why?
  • Options
    Great plugin? I've installed it and it doesn't actually work. No notification emails are sent.

It is certainly true that email notification needs to be included in Vanilla's core (only way to get a new forum off the ground). But this extension doesn't work and isn't maintained.
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    Jellicle: Are you sure your server's mail server is set up correctly? Can you send email from other programs you have installed? If so, have you got Vanilla's mail configuration set up properly?
  • Options
    AFAIK this plugin has long been broken is a number of ways (e.g. doesn't send emails) and displays a lot of error messages under certain circumstances.
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    Hmm. Well, Hutstein was here just 22 hours ago - I wonder if he's not interested in supporting this...
  • Options
    Can someone make a default so that the forum notifies the member when discussions he/she is involved with has had responses? If they want to change it there could be a check box they could uncheck. THANKS!
  • Options
    Yes, the mail system on my server works fine and lots of other services use it to send mail without problems.

I just looked at the extension briefly and it seems to call built-in Vanilla code to send its email, and there's nothing obviously wrong with it on a superficial look. So I'm afraid I don't know why it doesn't send mail.

But again, I think this is functionality that should be in Vanilla rather than in an extension. Users should have the easy option to monitor threads they've participated in, and probably other threads and the entire forum. It's a very useful tool for administrators and users of low-traffic forums, allows administrators to keep the entire forum spam-free by subscribing to everything and skimming the emails, and it permits users to passively participate in discussions: if a good post comes up, you subscribe to the thread rather than posting in it. There's a spectrum from push to pull: email (pushed), RSS (pulled often by a feed reader), web (pulled only when the user visits the forum). Vanilla would benefit from providing the entire spectrum as part of the core application.
  • Options
    I actually don't have so much time, but I will take a look at the complete code soon...
  • Options
    I've installed it onto a fresh vanilla 1.1.2 installation locally on my computer and the extension worked fine
  • Options
    Still getting this error printed to the top of every page...
    Warning: Call-time pass-by-reference has been deprecated - argument passed by value; If you would like to pass it by reference, modify the declaration of [runtime function name](). If you would like to enable call-time pass-by-reference, you can set allow_call_time_pass_reference to true in your INI file. However, future versions may not support this any longer. in /usr/www/users/client/forum/extensions/Notify/default.php on line 224
    Edit: Also, the CSS stuffs up the display on the settings page.

Edited: Friday, 16 March 2007 at 10:21AM (AEDT)

• Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    That's actually a really easy fix. It involves removing the & from the variable name in the function declaration and adding it where the function is called.
  • Options
    Hi,

I've installed the plugin and the subscription links in the right nav bar work fine (although I had to apply the just-mentioned patch http://lussumo.com/addons/index.php?PostBackAction=AddOn&AddOnID=48#Comment_62773 ).

However, on the account page, there is a link to the general notification preferences (/account/?PostBackAction=Notification ) for the forum admin, but not for registered users. Is this a bug or is it by design?
  • Options
    I have uploaded all the files but the extension doesn't appear on the manage section. does anyone has idea of how to solve this? I appreciate your help
  • Options
    So.. let me get this straight. This is actually emailing people now when there is a new comment to the discussions they've subscribed to?
  • Options
    Ok, let me report two bugs

1) I download the last version of this etenion with uppercase Default.php file and Vanilla only looks for lowercase default.php, as a reults this was screwing up my extension list. I changed it to the lowercase and all return to normality but the extension didn't work showing this Failed: (404) Not Found

2) Then the other bug which I belive it just happens with case-sensitive servers. The files Style.css and Ajax.php are also in uppercase. When I set them to the lowercase then the extension works pretty well.

Extremely useful extension with some bugs. I love it ! Thank you for the extension
  • Options
    there is any way to notify the admins about new members? I appreciate that because I have set the subscription without approval, to make it fast ... but I would like to hear about new members on my email :)

if it is possible please let me know
  • Options
    FYI, until that functionality is available with notify, you can use the New Applicants Dashboard Widget (for Mac OS X) if you have a Mac to be notified of new applicants. It works in conjunction with the New Applicants Count XHR which is easily accessible by any future Vista Gadgets or Yahoo Widgets that anyone might want to build.

And, as a last resort you can just bookmark the URL that the XHR add-on spits out, and check it manually throughout the day.
  • Options
    dan39, thank you for your suggestion, I just found it a bit difficult, I need to install many things but I want to keep my forum very light.

Look at this discussion here WallPhone is giving something similar and I wonder if this could be integrated to the Notify extension somehow?
  • Options
    That's alright. Just keep in mind that the XHR add-on is only 8 lines of code — the rest is handled by the browser or widget. So, technically it's much more lightweight than the integration you're talking about.

And, as I said, it's an easy alternative you can use until the new functionality is integrated into Notify.
  • Options
    Mark: I would like to second the vote that this function should be included in core. It would be nice to have it as one of the options that can be defined by role.
This discussion has been closed.