Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter
Support for Vanilla Forums Cloud product

In this Discussion

Follow Us

BlogThis

Comments

• Uploaded version 1.08 of BlogThis.
  • Hi Chaps,

Hope the new updates please. I've updated the description for the extension too.

Although I have created the ability to view only a particular users blog posts, there is no obvious link to these anywhere. I was waiting for suggestions on how you would like this - perhaps a link in users profiles? Or change it so that on the main blog page when you click a user it takes you to their blog, rather than their profile?

Either way, for those who do want it, for the moment you can add a new Tab using Page Manager with the correct URL.

I've also removed the portion of code that ammends database.conf as I think this causes more problems than it solves. This should mean for cleaner installs all around.

Be good to get any feedback.
  • Hi Fery - I've unwhispered this, as I felt other people could benefit from it.
    hey spode,
    just before i start with your awesome extension a quick...

multiple blogs ... does that mena that im able to assign a group and they're able to have their own unique blog?
    posting media ... is it compatible with jqmedia? (so can it display media on the "blog"-frontpage)

thanks mang
    Anyone who has been given the "permission" to blog/unblog, will, at this stage be able to blog/unblog ANY posts. So there is a bit of an assumption that anyone with this power is trustworthy and isn't going to abuse it. I guess this should be changed, so we have two permissions "can blog/unblog OWN posts" and "can blog/unblog ALL posts". I'll add this into the next revision - that is, if people want it?

But that aside, yes, you can filter the blog to just a single user by adding &BlogUser=userid to the URL.

Posting Media is a tricky one. Most extensions aren't designed to be active on pages that are extension.php. So most likely - no. But by all means give it a go. It certainly doesn't work with the attachment plugin, which I've outlined above.

There is one way I've been thinking about that *would* make it compatible. And that would be to actually make some sort of virtual discussion, so that viewing the blog is the same as viewing a discussion, with virtual posts being pulled in from different discussions. I'd have to give that some thought :)
  • hey spode, first of all there is an unwritten law if you publish someones whispers = "don't forget to check his spelling" :D

ok all jesting aside ...

posting media is very very important, that makes the difference between a blog and a plain text based news system in my oppinion.
    how about dynamic iframes to embed media or such ?

at least i'm only a frontend designer and not a backend coder, so that would be anyhow a complete mystery to me to solve such a tricky problem with php.
  • I'll check his spelling, if you check your capitalization ;)

Media is important, but it's just a case of the way all the current systems have been designed.

I could either try and do it the way I suggested, by simulating a discussion - which may end up with database duplication? Or, I would have to code all the integration myself, as a secondary system.
  • I'm not 100% sure with JQMedia, but most extensiobns can be made to work on extension.php pages by adding that into them. I'll look into it, as it may be a simple change.
  • hey spode , i've just changed my nickname, so the capitalization was also one of my grammatical wonders!

:D
  • LOL

One of the problems, is Blog, and by extension BlogThis uses ID Tags for the block elements, so a number of styles and some Javascript can get screwed up. If people let me know the exact extensions they want tested, I can give it a go.
  • hey stash a another quick:

1) after enabling the blog this extension i get this here on "settings.php?PostBackAction=Blog".

Warning: BlogForm::include() [blogform.include]: Unable to access /srv/www/web719/html/forum/extensions/BlogThis/theme/Theme.BlogForm.php in /srv/www/web719/html/forum/extensions/BlogThis-2008-08-04/library/PostBackControl.BlogForm.php on line 54

Warning: BlogForm::include(/srv/www/web719/html/forum/extensions/BlogThis/theme/Theme.BlogForm.php) [blogform.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /srv/www/web719/html/forum/extensions/BlogThis-2008-08-04/library/PostBackControl.BlogForm.php on line 54

Warning: BlogForm::include() [function.include]: Failed opening '/srv/www/web719/html/forum/extensions/BlogThis/theme/Theme.BlogForm.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/share/php:/usr/share/pear') in /srv/www/web719/html/forum/extensions/BlogThis-2008-08-04/library/PostBackControl.BlogForm.php on line 54

any ideas?
  • Not sure why you're asking me this - spode wrote the extension ;)
  • oh my fault, i guess i had earlier an overdose with pop, probably thats the reason for the fuddle :D
  • Why is it in a folder called BlogThis-2008-08-04 instead of just "BlogThis". Is it supposed to cope with differing folder names? Perhaps I have something explicit in there...
  • just unzipped and uploaded as it was. but it works now, i changed it to BlogThis.
    the devil is in the details :/
  • hey spode,

is there a way or setting that members/users are only able to tag their "own" topics ? (so no comments or such only their very very own topics)

thx
  • This is something I was suggesting earlier - I'm going to add this in.
  • how to increase the character limit.when write blog i always have to separate my passages to 2 commets or more. thx
  • That's a general setting for the forum - they are for all intents and purposes, standard posts. If you check in your global settings, you'll find the character limit for posts.
  • is there away so that the blog online shows the first 300 words then says "Click here to read on"?
  • Not at the moment Simon, sorry!
  • I was thinking about that. You could add that feature

This function will not cut words up, like substr normally does
    function cutText($string, $length) {
    while ($string{$length} != " ") {
    $length--;
    }
    return substr($string, 0, $length);
    }

Some thing like that would work, then it can be set in a setting what length and to call it
    echo cutText($what ever the content variable is , $The length set in the admin
  • I'll see what I can do! I'm trying to launch a new site at the moment, and that's taking most of my time.
  • Ok thanks, i will have a look in your code as well when i have time
  • ok i added the function in on my site, but the problem is if the blog post is less that then minimal length it courses lots of errors
  • Is there a way to remove blogged topics from the main discussion grid so they only show up in the blog tab?
  • Version number changed from 1.08 to 1.09.
  • Uploaded version 1.09 of BlogThis.
  • Simon - I've added the "read more" facility to the latest version, plus the permissions for only blogging your own posts.

Manda - currently, no. I imagine you could modify the SQL for the discussion list to exclude any with blogged posts in, but it would require a join with the comments field, so might be a little on the taxing side.
  • urm i set it and it does not seem to cut the post up to what i set
  • 1) It cuts it up to the number of words, not characters (just making sure you're not confused).

2) Did you replace the whole folder with the new code? I know you said you modified your own.
  • i did replace the lot, my code was on my test server. I will play aground a bit more.