Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Notifi

Comments

• Uploaded version 2.0 of Notifi.
  • Please see the changelog for this new version. There are quite a few new features, but some are still missing. I have been using this version for weeks on my forums and I don't know when I will complete all the features suggested here, so I just wanted to release it.
    If the feature you wanted isn't in this version I'm sorry, it isn't because I forgot or because it isn't important, I just happened to do them in this order (mostly the order in which they were suggested). When I have more time I will do the other features.
    Anyway, this version is really cool and I hope you like it too. Enjoy.
  • "Gonna" try it out. I'll give you feedback if anything goes wrong, so you probably don't want to read my messages here anymore. :P This Lussumo Bot guy should give us a direct link to download new versions so I don't have to visit the add-ons section, therefore wasting 2 clicks and 2 pageviews! Damn him! :D
  • Just installed it. A bit confused as to what has changed - what does "Force notification in all cases" mean?
  • Hmm. I just had a bounce back, where it was trying to send a notification to someone who wasn't even involved in the thread I posted in. not only that, but the text appeared to be flooded with ampersand html equivalents. I've turned off the "Force notification in all cases" for the moment I won't upgrade my other site until I understand what is going on.
  • This was in the e-mail - using BBCode:

Just doing a test post for the new notification system to see if now <strong>supports</strong> <a href=" http://www.bbcode.com">BBCode</a>!
  • Just commenting on the way this is working for me. I am trying to get all posters to a discussion notified of a reply to a discussion, but it appears that a notification will be sent back to the most recent poster. This is my scenario, "force notification in all cases" is ticked. 3 users: user one (the OP), user two, user three User one posts, logsout. User two replies to post. User one receives email notification. User two logsout. User three replies to user two's post. User two receives email notification...but not user one. Doesnt it seem like user one and user two should BOTH receive notifications that user three has posted? Thanks for any advice. I am not sure if I am using this extension properly if only one person is getting notified of an additional post to a discussion...
  • @ spode:
    The changelog has a list of changes. Force notification in all cases is a setting for testing that has been there since 1.8.0, it just means that everyone will be notified of everything. I don't think it should ever be enabled in a non-testing environment.
    Hopefully disabling that will fix any problems you had.
  • @ cwwwwww
    Yes you're right. I will look into it.
  • thanks SJ. notifi and not many more addons make a perfect forum.
  • Hey SJ,

I did see the Changelog, but I wasn't seeing any new options in the Notifi panel - such as "Added the option for users to be automatically subscribed to discussions they participate in". Where do I change that? Is that a forced option like we talked about?

I've turned off the option you suggested - but I'm not sure that will solve my BBCode formatting issue? I'll give it another try at some point and see if it helps :)
  • With version 2.0 there should be the following options for admins in the settings:

Allow users to subscribe to the entire forum
    Allow users to subscribe to categories
    Allow users to subscribe to discussions
    Convert BBCode to HTML
    Send emails as plaintext instead of HTML
    Force notification in all cases

The option for users to be automatically subscribed to discussions they participate in is in each user's settings, because it is only fair to give them the option. It is enabled by default.
  • Why not make "Send emails as plaintext instead of HTML" a user setting, as users prefer different things... That would be preferred by my userbase.
  • Yeah I think I will do that.
  • thanks for the update. a couple of suggestions if I may...

in the Account - Notification section there is a setting that allows a user to subscribe to the entire forum. The word "discludes" should be "excludes".

also, your ZIP file doesn't create a Notifi directory. It always unpacks the files into the current directory. Could this be made to include its own directory?

good work tho.

cheers
  • Disclude is a word. It comes from the Latin "discludere" which means "to shut apart". It is a synonym for exclude.
    Sure I can zip a folder next time if I remember.
  • It may be a word, but nobody uses it that way. "Excludes" is what you should be using.
  • Both of you should stop using "should" as if you know any better than me.
    There are plenty of people who use disclude that way (here is a perfect example) and the fact that you aren't aware of it speaks more to your ignorance of the English language than to mine, as well as probably the area of the world in which we live, so stop embarrassing yourself by trolling and go argue with someone you have a chance of winning against.
  • I'm up for an English language argument as much as anyone - but I don't think they are arguing that it isn't correct, or that it isn't a word - but more that it's not that commonly used. if 2 people are already complaining of this - a lot more people might struggle too :)
  • Just wanted to report the same problem as @spode. Lots of & characters.