Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Logging in and other more modifications...

edited August 2010 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
1. User Validation
Okay, so I'm new to this Vanilla thing and I would just like to ask, would it be possible to allow my application / program to be integrated to the Vanilla Forums in such a way where my application opens, it requests for a username and password, then I send what the user inputs into my program to my Vanilla Forums, then Vanilla Forums sends back whether it's one of my users or not. In other words, I want to validate usage via the Vanilla Forums.

2. Points
I want to also implement a sort of points system, etc for my users which is in no-way related to Vanilla Forums. I want to have just a single user-base wherein they don't need to register for a separate account for my website and for the Vanilla Forums.

3. Password-related
Can I make it so that the password of my users in Vanilla Forums are stored as plain MD5 hashes? That way, I don't have to dive into the Vanilla Forums code and look up how the passwords are encrypted and it would be easier to implement the checking on my program.

4. Prevent Access
I want my Vanilla Forums to be unavailable to the public in any way. Meaning only logged in users under certain ranks / groups can have access to it. That also includes it not being seen on Google or other search engines.

So far those are my questions for Vanilla Forums. I can see potential in it and I really want to use it for integration to my website. I would've used another forum software like phpBB or MyBB if I wanted a typical forum.