Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Link shortening plugin

RaizeRaize vancouver ✭✭
edited August 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I think this is an awesome idea. Using an api from a url shortening service (like bit.ly) it would automatically shorten all the links that are posted by members in discussions.

It would create uniformity in discussions, reduce clutter, provide advanced analytics for outgoing clicks, etc.

right?

Comments

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited August 2010
    A better (and simpler) approach would be to let you do yourdomain.com/d/1234 as an abbreviated form of a discussion link. Even better: let it run through your own "shortened" domain name that's mapped to the same docroot!

Turning over control of your links to bit.ly et. al. will come back to bite you one day.
  • A better (and simpler) approach would be to let you do yourdomain.com/d/1234 as an abbreviated form of a discussion link. Even better: let it run through your own "shortened" domain name that's mapped to the same docroot!

Turning over control of your links to bit.ly et. al. will come back to bite you one day.
    You are genius :) Awesome Ideas!
  • TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• A Twitter-like system I toyed with recently called Jisko has a button under the post textarea which shrinks all URLs in the post using a shortener like bit.ly, is.gd, etc. I'm considering writing a plugin to do the same, but am relaxing today and watching Dances With Smurfs - sorry, Avatar - again. It's a Bank Holiday here in the UK, which means all the English bankers take a day off. And yes, I said bankers.

(Incidentally, has anyone else noticed that Avatar's Gaia-loving aliens seem to have some real anger management issues..?)