Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

"CategoryRoles" for Vanilla 2?

judgejjudgej
edited September 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
This plugin for Vanilla 1 allowed the control of who (i.e. which roles) was able to start new discussions in a category, and who was able to make comments on existing discussions in a category.

This was useful in several ways:

- Allowing members to start discussions but not post comments created a kind of questions and answers category, where anyone could ask questions but only people in a privileged role could answer.

- Allowing only administrators to start a discussion but members to comment on it, provided a kind of announcement category, where the numbers of announcements could be strictly controlled, but members could still discuss details about those announcements.

Is there anything like this for Vanilla 2?

-- Jason

Comments

• Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin
    That's built into core.
  • Options
    Both those features? I couldn't find them. From what I could see roles could be allowed to see or not see a category, and take part in or not take part in a category. It does not look to me like there is any distinction between the role privileges that can be set for starting discussions and commenting on discussions. Or am I missing something.

(Unfortunately my web hosting has just gone down so I can't check immediately :(
  • Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin
    The role permissions are divided between "discussions" and "comments." The former is for starting a discussion, the latter is for adding to one.
  • Options
    Cool - thanks. That is probably something I did not spot. Now I just need my server back to check it out...web hosting companies - bah ;-)
  • Options
    judgejjudgej
    edited September 2010
    Server is back. I see now - there are two rows of permissions for each category. I couldn't see for looking. Doh. /facepalm

It mostly works okay. Allowing comments only (not being able to start discussions) works fine. Allowing new discussions only (without allowing comments) does not hide the comment box when viewing a discussion in the category, and trying to submit a comment in that box brings up a collapsed pop-up box and corrupts the display format. I guess that is something that will get fixed at some point.