Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

My experiences with v.2.0.9 install and integration with WP.3.0.1

edited September 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
This is not strictly a question initially, but sharing my experience for others
- BUT I know some questions will arise !! - links to these will appear.
I have long programming experience and WP since 2.6 (about a year), some php. BTW I'm using a iMac as my desktop computer.
  1. The first problem was with a missing .htaccess file see Install problem - missing .htaccess
    (a related discussion is .htaccess files not allowed on web host)
    • One suggestion was a dumb ftp program not copying the hidden system files, this is not the problem since the ftp program I'm using FileZilla is set to see hidden files but cannot see any in the folder I extracted the install package source to.
    • It would appear to be a problem with the default Finder preferences. These by default are to hide the extension of a file. Most apps remember in their preferences when you start saving files with a visible file extension. You have to specifically set finder preferences
    • It would appear that BOMArchiveHelper.app the Mac default unarchiver would create a file with a null file name for each hidden system file never to be found by you or any other app except a defragmenter or disk utility.
    • SOLUTION ensure the finder options are set to display file extensions and use a better archive handler such as "Stuffit Expander" or "The Unarchiver" both downloadable from Apples support website.
    • Comment It would appear the problem has been around since at least 2.0.3 since the a fix would appear to have not made it into 2.0.4 and now the solution according to @tim has been committed into 2.0.10a
    • TIP You will not ever see hidden files in a mac finder window, unless you change hidden preferences with a powerful maintenance tool such as Onyx and this reveals too many files so finder windows become cluttered. System/Hidden files can only be seen in the source window of your ftp client so a trick to employ is to rename a hidden file from .htaccesss to say 1.htaccess and remember to rename after ftping it to the hosting server
To be continued probably in later comments so that readers can see when comments were made relative to the episodes
Next episode will be about problems with setting up SingleSignOn.

Comments

• So, what is your experience then?
  • edited September 2010
    @bindho your comment answers a rogue escape of a draft first sentence of the discussion.
    Don't worry the notification of your reply alerted me to the fact that an early draft had escaped.
  • This is great, I think this information will help a lot of people. I wasn't aware of the finder thing.
  • @DavyB Sorry, when I posted the reply there was only one sentence, so I was just a bit curious. Looking forward to your further depictions.
  • When activating Proxy Connect a link "please read our documentation." appears. This link does NOT work it points at the correct page nearly it points at http://vanillaforums.org/page/signlesignon but the page name should be CamelCased as "SignleSignOn". Attn @tim

WordPress Integration did not work for me. I had to use Manual Integration.
    BTW I have WP.3.0.1 at http://example.org/news and V.2.0.9 at http://example.org/discus

On the first attempt everything seemed to go correctly. But when I logged in to the account I had used to set up the proxy connection I did not have access to the dashboard for admin purposes and the dashboard could not be seen in any account I could log into. Could not get in via the /entry/password link to an account where the dashboard link appeared.

HOLD OFF COMMENTING ON THE LAST PARAGRAPH ABOVE
    I have it working now but not documented here - YET!