Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Double email notification

edited September 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I receive two emails to notify a comment on a bookmarked discussion. my instal is 2.0.9
the same bug appears on this very forum.

very annoying, someone experienced it too, and have a quick fix?

Comments

• anyone? I'm experiencing this too and it would be great if someone could "shed some light on the subject".
  • In file
    applications/dashboard/models/class.activitymodel.php
    comment line 116:
    // $SendEmail = TRUE;
  • thank you
  • In file
    applications/dashboard/models/class.activitymodel.php
    comment line 116:
    // $SendEmail = TRUE;
    I did not get the point. Should I turn it OFF/FALSE ??
  • AFAIK, that was fixed in 2.0.14.
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    Yes, upgrading to 2.0.14 will solve this issue.
  • edited February 2012

Is anyone still having this issue in 2.0.18.2? We are having the issue no matter what I set for my Notification settings. Few of my users want to receive an email when any post is made (we have a pretty small site). They are getting 2 no matter what we set in the preferences.

• I'm also having this problem on (2.0.18.4). It seems that new discussions only have one notification, but when somebody adds a comment two emails are sent! Is this related to: http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/154821#Comment_154821 ?!

• Is there code we can try fiddling with in 2.0.18.4? Around line 471?

if ($SendEmail === FALSE || $SendEmail === TRUE) $Notify = $SendEmail;

• I'm having the same problem in 2.0.18.4 where I'm getting two emails for new comments. I un-checked the box for receiving notifications for new comments and not only do I still get the email notification, I'm getting two.

• Same issue here in 2.0.18.4.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2012

All of you keep saying same issue, maybe there is some commonality creating the problem. e.g. Did the problem occur after a new install, an upgrade, did you migrate from another forum, what plugin do you use? etc. If you want to try to help yourselves - you need to provide some information as to what and when and where. just a thought. me too - doesn't really help in identifying problem.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Same problem on a fresh install of 2.0.18.4 via Simple Scripts Installer on Hostmonster.

Conditions:
    I am the admin on the forum.

My preferences are such:
    http://db.tt/Eh6pNhv4

Not too sure what else you could use to help identify the problem.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2012

I think you mentioned it in the other thread or solved the problem.

The problem is there are two threads with pretty much the same problem.
    http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/20347/emails-for-all-categories-going-to-all-users#latest

always get impossible to figure out when there are two threads with the same problem going on.

I don't know the solution other than unchecking each one (as hbf suggested) until the problem goes away and removing plugin and then doing one check at a time to see where problem occurs.
    Then adding plugin back in to see if problem replicates itself

probably best to concentrate on one thread or the other - as it does get confusing.

This is analogous to getting a Double Email - :)

double message.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.