Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Language Developers: Please Update Your Language Packs

ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
edited December 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Until recently (version 2.0.11). Vanilla's language support was unstructured, requiring you to put your translations into a variety of different places. I've made changes to the application to make translations work more like themes and plugins which should make things easier for people translating things.

In order to take advantage of these new features a bit of work has to be done to existing language packs. Don't worry, it's not hard and you can find guidance at http://vanillaforums.org/page/converting-locales.

Once you update your language packs to locale packs and updated them on the addons site they should be slotted into the correct spot.

@Ethneldryt, @Arzen, @pansik, @gh3, @zen0r, @leobalter, @Silencer, @Devstore, @kaplan, @Elliottx.

Comments

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    Very cool, Todd.
  • Hai i will Do to Tamil Language
  • I've done it for the French translation (I was hoping it could make vanilla usable in another language than english, because it's not the case right now), here is my file :

http://pastebin.com/8bZ4n3hZ

(the parent folder is 'french')

I can enable it in the dashboard, but nothing happens. No translation at all.

What I'm missing ?
  • gmlgml
    edited October 2010
    By manually writing :

$Configuration['Garden']['Locale'] = 'fr-FR';

in config.php, it translates, but it's still unusable.

When a new user registers, it doesn't sent email, and when you request a new password the email's content is only "PasswordRequest".

It make Vanilla totally unusable in another language than English for the moment.

Edit: tested in German, same result.
  • TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    You need to translate the PasswordRequest string to the sentence with instructions. Here is the English version:
    $Definition['PasswordRequest'] = 'Hello %1$s,

Someone has requested to reset your password at %2$s. To reset your password, follow this link:

%3$s

If you did not make this request, disregard this email.';
  • Funny that nobody for french and german did see that :)

Thanks a lot Todd ! I'll try it ASAP…
  • phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP
    German: I'm willing to take on with the german version and have one that is more developed then the actual one in the repository. But as i didn't create the one in the addons-library, i do not really wanna take on with a second name like "german 2" ??
    • VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
  • TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    edited October 2010
    German: I'm willing to take on with the german version and have one that is more developed then the actual one in the repository. But as i didn't create the one in the addons-library, i do not really wanna take on with a second name like "german 2" ??
    Maybe you and @Silencer can work together?

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

And anyone that wants to collaborate should really consider github. Have I mentioned how much I love github recently?
  • edited December 2010
    is there a language pack ?
    I need full language pack to translate it into kurdish language .
  • I made a translation for Dutch and I can only enable it if I set the locale to the default 'en-CA' in the definitions.php file and in the config.php file. If I set it to the proper locale it gets overruled by the english translation.

How to fix this?
  • I'm trying to make a new Locale, so I copied the skeleton one and changed the few things indicated (folder name/local info key/etc.). I can activate the Locale but it doesn't work, nothing is translated.

Here is the code with only two test words translated (the folder is called 'french'):

$LocaleInfo['french'] = array( // make sure the key of this array is the same as its folder name. 'Locale' => 'fr-FR', 'Name' => 'French - Français', 'Description' => '...', 'Version' => '0.1', 'Author' => "Your Name", 'AuthorEmail' => 'Your Email', 'AuthorUrl' => 'http://your.domain.com', 'License' => 'Your choice of license' ); $Definition['Discussions'] = 'TEST'; $Definition['Activity'] = 'Activité';

BTW, if the file is not in "UTF-8 without BOM", strange things happens.
    @remouk, You need to set the application's locale. See here: http://vanillaforums.org/page/localization#Enabling

There was another user that is having utf-8 problems which I'd like to fix, but they seem to be os specific. Do you have any thoughts on the issue?
  • @Todd OK thanks! Sorry I missed that. Btw, I know it's not a setting you need to change often, but I think it should be far better to have a simple dropdown list to select the default locale on that dashboard page.

I have no idea on the UTF-8 issue. All I can tell you is that I run Notepad++ on Windows 7, then upload the file with FileZilla. Hope it helps!
  • Hurray!

Hi there! I have almost 98% of the translation into Portuguese complete. But let me tell you a few points: I have not only translated the text «It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!» and the «Terms of Service».
    On the Panel, I have only 3-5 buttons that are still in english, but the rest (excepting every new plugin feature and text) is fully translated.
    I have found also that making a new Locale, as well re-using the locale.php and the definitions.php is necessary if you use some accented vowels (like portuguese, spanish, italian, french), and it is very easy to make a text to translate.
    So, excepting the rest, my version is fully workable and I have NO BUGS.

If you would like to have my "how-to" and my text translated from english, feel free!

my email is lacmbarroso (at) gmail.com

• Working on Dutch languagefile
  • Hurray!

Hi there! I have almost 98% of the translation into Portuguese complete. But let me tell you a few points: I have not only translated the text «It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!» and the «Terms of Service».
    On the Panel, I have only 3-5 buttons that are still in english, but the rest (excepting every new plugin feature and text) is fully translated.
    I have found also that making a new Locale, as well re-using the locale.php and the definitions.php is necessary if you use some accented vowels (like portuguese, spanish, italian, french), and it is very easy to make a text to translate.
    So, excepting the rest, my version is fully workable and I have NO BUGS.

If you would like to have my "how-to" and my text translated from english, feel free!

my email is lacmbarroso (at) gmail.com

Hi lax2000,

I'm interested in doing my "own" translation, i.e. tailored to my specific needs, into Spanish.

Could you please share your "how-to" with me?

I'll email you but I'm also contacting you here in case my email gets filtered by some spam chasing algorithm.

Thanks!

• is there a ready language pack? german or french ...etc ?
    because i want to see how it made up ,for making kurdish locale