Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Install madness: Variety of error messages

edited November 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Hi ya'll,

Somebody was recommending me vanilla when i told em I was goin to install phpBB.. so I thought what the heck.. let me try that since I always found phpBB always kind of annoying.
First impression (on this site) is really good... but..

I get a few error messages when installing that don't make sense to me.

* You are missing Vanilla's .htaccess file. Sometimes this file isn't copied if you are using ftp to upload your files because this file is hidden. Make sure you've copied the .htaccess file before continuing.

This one I get.. but still leaves me with a problem cuz i need Wordpress' .htaccess for my so so friendly urls and what not.. is there a smooth way to combine the two?
It still gave this message after I said "Install whitout.."

* Are you sure you've entered the correct database host name? Maybe you mistyped it? The database reported: SQLSTATE[HY000] [2005] Unknown MySQL server host '~~Invalid~~' (11004)

Yes I am.. don't know whats up here.. I got MySQL5 running.. and all the data is correct.. triple checked

* You must specify the name of the database in which you want to set up Vanilla.
Same here

* Banner Title is required.

Any thoughts on this?

*edit: My hoster tells me everything should be working whit these system reqs..

Comments

• hi,

could work to copy and paste the code of one .htaccess to the other, but it might be, that wordpress and vanilla read and write to that file and that could crash everything?!

What does you tiped in as hostname?
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited November 2010
    I do not recommend putting Wordpress and Vanilla in the same folder. Put Vanilla in a subfolder like /forum instead and include the .htaccess file there. It is possible to run them in the same directory, but you really need to know what you're doing and possibly do a little hacking. I don't recommend doing this with any forum and Wordpress, really.

Your hostname should probably be 'localhost'. In fact, you should be able to use the same info as what's in your wp-config file since there's no problem putting Vanilla in the same database as Wordpress (in fact, I'd recommend doing so).
  • yeah i figured that much :P

In the end someone at costumer service of my hoster fixed the whole thing.
    It might be that something went wrong with the files i put up there.
    The CS guy put the DB info manually into \forum\applications\dashboard\controllers\class.setupcontroller.php (lines 114-117)

My hoster does not like .htaccess files for some reason so their not allowed :P

The vanilla install is running from a different DB cuz I already installed Wordpress in a MySQL4 DB. They haven't migrated to 5 yet, but they do enable it manually for the people that need it.

Looking forward to getting into this.. i'll keep you posted
    Greetz from the Netherlands