Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Publish descriptions for categories (category descriotions, non-announcement stickies)

judgejjudgej
edited November 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Is there a simple or obvious way to display information on what a category is all about?

I am just looking for some way to describe what the category is for, who is allowed to post to it, lay down any rules etc. I initially thought that is what announcements were for (the equivalent of "sticky" in other forum parlance) but since announcements all appear at the top "all categories" level too, they don't make so much sense (having ten announcements that all say "about this category..." would make the top view a little crowded).

I know each category has a description field that - so far as I know - is not displayed anywhere. Would it make sense just to pick that description up in the theme and display it?

-- Jason

Comments

• Options
    TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    I don't see any problem with this approach

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• Options
    judgejjudgej
    edited November 2010
    I've give that a go then, perhaps passing the description through the markdown filter to give the admin some formatting without having to mess around with HTML. The RSS for for the category could also benefit from that (the description element of the channel).