Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

(vanilla 2.0.14) Signin form asks for email instead of username / change welcometext in sign-in form

zenozeno New
edited November 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I installed vanilla 2.0.14 yesterday and have two problems. 1) the sign-in form asks incorrectly for the email address together with password, but this does not work. When I enter the username instead of the email address, it does. So the label needs to be changed.

I also would like to change the following text:

"Howdy, Stranger!It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!"

as well as the text on the "Apply for Membership" button.

I've found instructions to do this for vanilla 1 but not for vanilla 2. Which files need to be amended /where are they located? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    First of all I must say this application is great! A million thanks to the Vanilla team and to the Community for making this happen. I first learned about Vanilla two days ago, yesterday I installed on our remote server and using the "embed vanilla" plugin got it embedded into a page on our website (a closed forum) - without a single problem. It worked perfectly on the first try (with the exception of the tiny "flaw" above!).

Re the second of the issues above, I found the files, then simply changed the text in the code, uploaded, done. The files were:

/applications/dashboard/views/modules/guest.php (for the title text)
    /applications/dashboard/modules/class.guestmodule.php (for the long text)
  • Options
    Re issue of wrong label (e-mail instead of username):

Part of the problem seems to be in file: /applications/dashboard/views/entry/auth/password.php

After I replaced the first 'Email' in line 13 with the word 'Username', it works:

line 13 echo $this->Form->Label('Username', 'Email');
    line 14 echo $this->Form->TextBox('Email');

However obviously a fix is needed here.
  • Options
    AoleeAolee Hobbyist & Coder ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    found a problem on the latest version 2.0.17.6, it allows registration of same email address, not sure if 2.0.14 allows same/existing email address for registration
  • Options
    When I tried to edit the "Howdy, Stranger!" text in /applications/dashboard/views/modules/guest.php

My forum page displays:- Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in /homepages/34/d260127691/htdocs/vanilla/applications/dashboard/views/modules/guest.php on line 3

I tried to change the text to "You're not signed in!"

Any suggestions?
  • Options
    @avantime4mike
    Maybe you have some typo.
    Try to use translation file instead of core hack.
    Vanilla Forums Blog » Howdy, Stranger!
  • Options
    ntuyelikntuyelik New
    edited April 2011
    @avantime4mike
    Try to use translation file instead of core hack.
    Vanilla Forums Blog » Howdy, Stranger!
    I tried to translate it by locales folder by it does not work :(
  • Options
    All I did was replace the text "Howdy Stranger!" with "You're not signed in!"
    Where could I have made a typo?
  • Options
    ntuyelikntuyelik New
    edited April 2011
    I did it by locale.php in conf folder finally :)
    This tutorial worked for me :p
  • Options
    All I did was replace the text "Howdy Stranger!" with "You're not signed in!"
    "You're not signed in!" has no prob.
    But 'You're not signed in!' has a sintax error.
    If you want to use a single-quote within the string wrapped with single-quote you have to escape the single-quote with a backslash \ like 'You\'re not signed in!'.
    See the PHP manual for details.
  • Options
    avantime4mikeavantime4mike ✭✭
    edited April 2011
    @ntuyelik thanks for the help and for explaining the syntax error, I did it using the edited locale.php method in the end, that's done it, exactly what I wanted:-

http://www.avantime-owners.com/vanilla/