Fork me on GitHub
Current releases are 2.1 (gold) and 2.0.18.11 (security patch for 2.0)
Ready for 2.1? Find out if your favorite plugins are compatible.
The 2.0 branch will no longer receive updates after Dec 2014.

like button / thankful people - how to make this plugin

edited November 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 Help
Hi,

I guess some of you are waiting for an addon like thankful people of vanilla 1 or like the facebook "like" button.

Vanilla 2 has allready an plugin to vote comments (http://vanillaforums.org/addon/voting-plugin) and you can save favorites - but that's different from a like button.

I don't think I am able to write such a plugin right now, but I would like to start a discussion about how such a plugin has to work - so it might be easier for someone or for me to build it.

== technic ==

1) Database
There must be a database save foreignID (comment or Discussion), and foreignType ("comment" or "discussion") (in Vanilla 2 the first post of a discussion is not a comment itself, right?).
It also has to save UserID, and may like/dislike (?!)

2) PHP 1
A script has to check, if every comment/discussion, that is printed was liked/disliked by anyone. Then show a little message like "liked by: name1, name2, name3" or "liked 3 times" (and if you click on it, shows the names)

3) PHP 2
A script has to write or delete "like" in the database if someone clicks the link to like or dislike

4) PHP 3
A script has to include a link "like" to a comment - and another link to "stop like", if the person likes that comment

5) PHP 4
A script has to check permissions

6) JavaScript / AJAX
A Script has to post "like" to the PHP 2 - and update the page via Ajax - there must also be a PHP fall back, to have it work without JavaScript

May there could be a function to define several attributs "link" "thank" "dislike"...

May there could be a count of how often people liked the comments of a person in his_her profil (like in thankfull people)

What else has to be codet?
Are there Plugins/extentions doing similar things - so one could take snippets of their code for the first release?

Is someone working on this?

Comments