Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

How to post your problem

LincLinc Detroit Admin
edited November 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
BEFORE you ask:

1. Do you have all requirements met on your server (especially PDO)? You can check this by placing <?php phpinfo(); ?> in a PHP file on your server and then visiting it.

2. Confirm permissions are set correctly on your upload, cache, and config folders (777 if all else fails).

WRITING a good request for help:

1. Tell us about your platform. Is it Red Hat? Nginx? Anything special you've done to it? Who's your host?

2.Tell us about your install. Is it a new install or an upgrade? If it's an upgrade, from what version? An import? From what software?

3. Describe what you were doing when the problem occured. Gather information from members who report an issue. Can it be reliably reproduced? Can you link us to the error to see it in action?

4. Post it in the correct place. Feel it's a bug? Please file an issue on GitHub. TIP: If you're getting a fatal error or parse error, 90% of the time it's a configuration issue, not an issue for GitHub. Post those on the forum for help troubleshooting.

Comments

• edited January 2011
    Thanks, very useful..
  • In my book this is called bullshit advice.
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    Howso?
  • What you ask is preemptive specification of everything. We use a bit of common sense in assuming the most general cases apply most of the time. Imagine you advise someone, when going to the mechanic with a car, to take the full engineering specs from the rubber tires to the wattage of the blinking turn lights.

I know it is difficult to ascertain what's in someone else's installation. It freaks me out a bit to suggest things that may crash server code or mess up the database. If I am trying them myself, that's one thing. It is quite another to tell another person to do things like those.

Bottom line. We ask, suggest, interact. Someone learns something and the world advances.
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited January 2011
    There are maybe 7 people answering as they have time and hundreds asking.

When going to the mechanic, you expect a bill.
  • Then Vanilla may not be the thing for me.
  • Did I get the issue into github correctly? https://github.com/vanillaforums/Garden/issues/issue/776
    It (any nothing updated within the last 3 months) is not showing up on the open issues listing.
  • UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    edited February 2011
    It is not showing up on the open issues listing.
    Luckily github has some learning curve in this case :-)
    At the bottom of the issues list you'll see "More"
    Click on it a couple of times and the issue number 776 shows up.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• edited February 2011
    Ah, their sorting only effects the currently viewed results. Thanks @UnderDog.
    Looks like it shoudl be fixed shortly http://support.github.com/discussions/issues-issues/150-sort-by-last-updated-doesnt-work
  • RaizeRaize vancouver ✭✭
    @PL38Monteiro get a life dude