Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

What must I do after edit files like "applications/dashboard/views/entry/signin.php"?

edited December 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Hi all,

I must edit such files like above, because in these files there are hardcoded English words, which are shown in a view. So I have to translate them. I know, that vanilla is based on a framework and if I change something within the framework (only things like above!), I have to rebulid it.
Therefore my question:"How can I rebuild the framework?". Because changing these things have no impact to the sitefront without a new build.

Thanks & Greetz
neo67
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Ok... so, there are several things you might want to consider.

1) Try not to edit the code bundled (the applications/vanilla, applications/garden etc.), rather try to keep all of your changes in the themes/ plugins/ locales folders because at the next update, it will come biting you in the a$$.

2) You don't have to rebuild anything, it's PHP ... the code is interpreted and served on the fly.

3) The real question, if you want to do translations... you should look at this: http://vanillaforums.org/addon/localedeveloper-plugin and http://vanillaforums.org/addon/baseline-locale and see how it can fit your needs (should fit perfectly). Also keep in mind that, unless you are doing some weird language, the odds are that somebody has already done it before...

/cd
  • Options
    Hi cdavid,

is it clear to me, that changing code in "area 51" is very dangerous to the stability of vanilla. And the impact to my a$$ is clear too at the next update. ;-)
    But, I did not understand, why the language handling in the view is hard coded. It makes no sense in point of the vanilla goals.
    Oh, there are frameworks like sapphire, where you have to rebuild, php or not has no reason at this time.

Anyway, I just have a look on the links, you are posted.

Greetz
    neo67