Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter
Support for Vanilla Forums Cloud product

In this Discussion

Follow Us

How to Move a Vanilla Forum for a Local Dev Site to a Staging or Production Site?

edited December 2010 in Questions
I installed Vanilla locally on my laptop and then copied the files and the database up to my hosted server only to find that it didn't work. I spent over an hour trying to find what I needed to fixup to get it to work on my server only to give up and reinstall on the server.

I would still like to be able to bring it down locally so that I could develop addons but I'm not sure what files I would need to change to make it happen. It seems that conf/config.php and the .ini file in /cache need to change but I changed them and they were not enough. What else needs to change?

Also, does Vanilla overwrite conf/config.php? I made changes there to sniff out the host and use different database credentials but I swear they disappeared so I assume that Vanilla recreates that file; if so how can I set up the source code to use different credentials depending on where it is served from?

Thanks in advance.

Comments