Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

How to enable categories in mobile theme?

Hi,

I am a Vanilla forum rookie. I set up a Vanilla forum a few days ago. The main users of this forum will be accessing it through iPhone. My problem is that though the web version shows categories , the mobile version does not.

I have looked through the admin dashboard to turn on the categories for the mobile theme. But I was unable to do so.

Can anyone point me into to the settings where one can turn this on? Or do I have to dive into Vanilla Forum code to achieve this? If not through settings is this achievable via custom theme or do I have to change mobile controllers or something?

Please advice.

Thanks and Regards,
Pritam.
Tagged:

Comments

• oliverraduneroliverraduner Contributing to Vanilla since 2010 Switzerland ✭✭
    Well, I just discovered that my Plugin - if you change the value "'MobileFriendly" to "TRUE" - will put all your Categories into the Menu of the Mobile theme ;-)

Not really useful, not even speaking of "beautiful", but it's probably a start for you to figure out yourself how to enhance the Mobile theme.

Cheers,
    Oliver
  • Hi Oliver,

Thanks for the answer. I appreciate it. I will look into it and see if it solves my problems.

Regards,

Pritam.
  • phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP

@oliverraduner: What plugin are you speaking about, can't find yours in the addon section. I'd like to activate categories for the mobile version.

Anyone else can tipp me to the right syntax for adding categories to the mobile theme?

{categories} ?

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
  • I'm on a crippled browser so and I can't edit this post once I post.

@phreak - as you you know you can mobilefriendly is True (I don;'t have the exact syntax, but I posted it many times and so have a bunch of other folks. You can put that in the array in any plugin to make it execute in a mobile theme. So you could get the categories module showing that way. Since categories appears in a module in the panel asset you would remove any modules you don't want appearing in the panel or change the addition of the categories module to a different asset - e.g. content. So the first thing to do is search "mobilefriendly true", and then add what you want via themehooks in the mobile theme.

And oliver was referring to this -- in his comment above.

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/categories2menu-plugin

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited March 2013

Ok I help peregrine and add this:

@phreak
    I suggest using categoriesdropdown plugin and make it mobile friendly true , this will show all the categories. If you just want a link to the categories page then add this to the mobile hooks on every controller you want the link to appear.

$this->_AddButton($Sender,'Categories');

like this:

public function DiscussionController_Render_Before($Sender) {
          $this->_AddButton($Sender, 'Discussion');
          $this->_AddButton($Sender,'Categories');
          $this->_AddButton($Sender, 'MobileHome');
          $this->_AddButton($Sender, 'Nuke');
       }

Thank you guys, starting to understand. :)

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    edited March 2013

Uh, i had to edit this comment. It works the way you wrote. Thanx @vrijvlinder.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited March 2013

or use this

You could also have another option for categories

set this in your config and you will get a Category tab.

$Configuration['Vanilla']['Categories']['ShowTabs'] = TRUE;

or use the add menu plugin and add the categories.

or you could use the new (updated a few minutes ago) Add Menu Item that has 2 links that will appear on non-mobile as well as mobile devices. And 3 links that only appear on non-mobile devices.

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/addmenuitem-plugin

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.