Fork me on GitHub
Current releases are 2.1 (gold) and 2.0.18.11 (security patch for 2.0)
Ready for 2.1? Find out if your favorite plugins are compatible.
The 2.0 branch will no longer receive updates after Dec 2014.

New WordPress Plugin

2»

Comments

• MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    @Drake - Is your forum set to be a private community? That's the only reason I can think of that it would be redirecting instead of returning the html of the page...
  • Does this ever happen when using the embed code? Premalink gets all hashed out #

Tried installing plugin and was unsuccessful due to "invalid url path" to forum.

------
    iframed forum url
    .com/forum-embed/#tegories/community

non iframed url
    .com/forum/categories/community

------
    iframed forum url
    .com/forum-embed/#scussion/327/the-sounds-need-music-videoss

non iframed url
    .com/forum/discussion/327/the-sounds-need-music-videoss
  • I finally solved the problem with cURL. It was caused by the fact that I am developing locallly (using XAMPP) the integration between Wordpress and Vanilla, on a PC behind a corporate proxy.

If there are other people in this situation, you can add the following lines after curl_init() in function vf_rest (functions.php of plugin)

/* Drake: Fix to avoid using proxy to retrieve vanilla forum location on localhost */
    curl_setopt($C, CURLOPT_PROXY, "http://");
    curl_setopt($C, CURLOPT_PROXYPORT, 80);

• edited May 2011
    I'm getting this same error, sometime it will say settings saved, but no options change and it just keeps asking to validate the url. Then when I enter it again it gives me the "Forum url could not be validated. Are you sure you entered the correct web address of your forum?" message.

I have version 1.0.5 of the plugin
    Wordpress 3.1.2
    PHP 5.2.17
    Curl 7.12.1

Any thoughts?

~Mark

PS: This is not intended as a slam, but unless Vanilla and WP can work together as advertised, I need to move on and find something that will.
  • Sorry to post so late, but this is the first result when searching Google. I had been getting this error, and I found that simply adding a slash to the end of the URL fixed it. Weird, huh?
  • My web hosts block loop backs using cURL to prevent abuse of misconfigured settings, this is why I cannot use the plugin, and get the error message Forum url could not be validated. Are you sure you entered the correct web address of your forum?

Are there any other ways to get around using cURL? fsock, or hard code the url, I know the forum is hosted at www.mydomain.com/forum
  • edited September 2011
    I can't get the plugin to display either the forum or the widgets in a wordpress page.
    I installed Vanilla 2.0.18 (beta 4) successfully.
    I selected the embed friendly theme from Vanilla Admin.

• To everyone getting the "cannot validate" problem, go into the functions.php file and change line 150 to:

$html = file_get_contents($url);

The function it was calling (vf_rest) expects JSON to be returned.. I'm guessing the dev's got their functions mixed up or something.
  • None of the above has worked for me. Any more suggestions?
  • @> kunkelwe said:

Sorry to post so late, but this is the first result when searching Google. I had been getting this error, and I found that simply adding a slash to the end of the URL fixed it. Weird, huh?

That worked for me! Thanks :)

2»