Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter
Support for Vanilla Forums Cloud product

In this Discussion

Follow Us

Can large groups of users be bulk imported (username/email/password)?

edited January 2011 in Questions
Is there a way to bypass the whole invitation/signup process and simply bulk enroll a large group of people, assuming I have a spreadsheet of usernames, email addresses, and passwords? It would be great if I could just send people pre-assigned information so they could just login right away.

Thanks!

Comments

• Even if there is no "built-in" method for bulk enrollment, can anyone point me to resources that would help if I were to get a contractor to do this for me? I'm assuming it's just importing names/emails into a database so I'm guessing it's possible somehow if you know how to map the data to the right fields. Or I could be way off base. :)

If bulk enrollment is not possible, I'd still be interested in the possibility of bulk invitations. Surely someone had to import a large user base before from a forum that was not compatible with the Importer tool? How did you do it?
  • Try using the Add User from the dashboard. It's a long process if you have many accounts but it's something to use if an import is not made available.
  • Thanks Chuck, good suggestion but I have 600 people to add. :( It would be PERFECT if the Add User tool allowed the import of a CSV file or something.

But that's what makes me think it's possible for a smart person (not me!) to figure out how to do it. If you can add one user with a username/password/email/role, then it must be possible to do it for multiple users, right?
  • I could use the same thing, but I need to import 8000 users!