Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Should I use ProxyConnect to use the authentication system of Vanilla on another site ?

edited February 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I want to use Vanilla as a private forum with a simple custom web page that is also private.

My question is, can I use auth system of Vanilla through ProxyConnect on my web page ? I just want to do login/password auth with Vanilla database.
Tagged:

Comments

• You probably can do what you want, but it will likely need some programming. ProxyConnect works in the opposite direction: Vanilla hands over logins and user registration to an external explication and pulls user details across when a user logs in.
  • edited February 2011
    Thanks fo your quick response !

Do you know another addon or do you have a suggestion to accomplish what I want to do ?
  • judgejjudgej
    edited February 2011
    No, sorry, I've never seen Vanilla used as the source of user registration and authentication before. That's not to say someone else hasn't.

I would think something like OpenID would be the ultimate way to go - if Vanilla acted as an OpenID server, then any CMS with an OpenID client could use it to log in. It would probably not be that much work to write, but does involve a great deal of OpenID experience (lack of beginner documentation means it is hard to get into). It is something that I am experimenting with to provide Single Sign-On (SSO) for other systems. The open protocols are definitely the way to go IMO, but some work is required to get there.