Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Shoutbox position

smoigecomsmoigecom New
edited March 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Why isn't this shoutbox in a tab next to the My Discussions tab? It would be great if it had a sidebar or main page option.
Tagged:

Comments

• caerostriscaerostris ✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Hey, great idea!

As you might have read on my blog, I started developing v1.0 with a few options included, I'll add an option where you can choose where to show the shoutbox...

Thanks ;-)
  • caerostris: Might I ask you how you control the positioning of plugins? I've been looking all through the documentation but I can't get my head around it.
  • lucluc ✭✭
    Van2Shout is set in the "Panel", cf. AssetTarget in the plugin code.
  • Van2Shout is set in the "Panel", cf. AssetTarget in the plugin code.
    Hmm... Sounds easy... I'll have a look at the source code once the plugin is available for download again. Thanks.
  • lucluc ✭✭
    edited March 2011
    @jesperlofgren: http://demo.ovh.com/download/152f411770d75868ec9d894a21f00452/van2shout-plugin-0.5.5.zip

You've got Content and Footer as other AssetTarget. (Head too, but it won't do you any good)
  • @luc

Thanks... Starting to get a hang of this... Now I only need to figure out how to make a AssetTarget so that I can get things to pop up as tabs above the discussion part, just like "All discussions" and "Popular" does here.
  • caerostriscaerostris ✭✭
    edited March 2011
    If you don't need it right now, you could just wait one or two weeks until I finished developing v1.0...

I'll have to find out how it works anyway, so of course I could share it with you before releasing v1.0...

@luc
    Thanks for making Van2Shout available again!

If anyone's scared about downloading van2shout from an unofficial source, I checked luc's source (sorry for not-trusting you), it's clean ;-)

@luc and @jesperlofgren (and every PHP coder)
    If you now a little bit about PHP, and you're intersted in helping me to enhance van2shout, a new teammember (also if there is no team yet) would be very welcome ;-)
  • @jesperlofgren cool. i m glad you like the idea. :)
  • I'm still working on it...

I guess nobody has this working yet? :D
  • edited April 2011
    ghgf
  • I got it!

Van2Shout creates a link "Shoutbox" in the navigation, which links to a page where only the shoutbox is shown.

This is also upcoming with version 1.0
    If you need it right now, email me!
  • edited April 2011
    any chance of this shoutbox being above the discussions area but under any announcements like this?: http://imgur.com/5GaRw
  • I don't "need" it but am willing to test it on my site!
  • edited August 2011

@luc and @jesperlofgren (and every PHP coder)
    If you now a little bit about PHP, and you're intersted in helping me to enhance van2shout, a new teammember (also if there is no team yet) would be very welcome ;-)
    *bump*

I,m also trying to understand how the positioning works in PHP and very interested to get the shoutbox above the discussions as a main feature.

cant a person create a div> or {asset name="Van2Shout"} and past it in the default.master.tpl ??

or is it not that simple ?
    I would love to understand how this all comes together .

D

• lucluc ✭✭
    There's only 3 or 4 assets, and another one just for a specific plugin won't cut it into core :)
  • I just finished a new alpha version, this version doesn't register a sidebar widget, it has it's own controller, shown in the navigation of the forum (next to "Sign out")
    I'll upload a demo and publish the download link tomorrow.
    If you're testing it, please give me some feedback ;)
  • Demo forum is not ready yet, but I pushed it to the experimental branch of my git repo:
    https://github.com/Caerostris/Van2Shout/tree/experimental
  • I will test out this experimental branch and see how it goes.

• Well it works just fine when testing it on localhost. When viewing other categories there is a "broken image" error where the image doesn't display properly due to the path set. Meaning this works fine: http://localhost/vanilla/plugins/Van2Shout/img/rem.png

But as soon as I head off to another category it doesn't and the path is set as this regardless of what category I choose to display on the right: http://localhost/vanilla/categories/plugins/Van2Shout/img/rem.png

BTW, is there any way this can be at the top of the page above the 'all discussions' area but below the main header?

• This is simple rather. The only complaints on me going from smf to vanilla is the shout. All my older members are complaining about is the fact that when you send a message and it refreshes you have to reclick the box.

Correct me if I'm wrong

<input type="text" id="shoutboxText" size="18"> <script>document.getElementById('shoutboxText').focus()</script>

I don't know where to put it! I'm amateur at coding but am a long time hobbiest.

Please respond soon. It's almost a common stance to register and complain they have to click a dang box.