Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Migrating to Vanilla2 from other forum(s): user password scrambling?

edited March 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Hi guys,

I'm now trying to move an old forum with all its users and postst to a new Vanilla2 installation. The database design ov Vanilla2 is clean and obvious... but I faced a serious problem while trying to find out how Vanilla2 encodes the user passwords stored in database. In fact I would like to write a kind of "migration script" which should get data from the old forum tables, encode passwords and insert data into Vanilla tables. Tried to reverse engineer Vanilla2 code but with no result yet. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    You actually don't need to reverse Vanilla's coding. You can just bring the passwords along as they are, and designate they "HashType" in the User table. If you add the hashing method to Vanilla, they'll be automatically changed to Vanilla's hash the first time they log in.

Check out the vBulletin importer for an example of it. We've also done it for phpBB and a couple others, I think.
  • Great thanks Linkoln! Should i just leave HashMethod blank, use "Vanilla" as value or fill it with something like "myoldforumhashtype"?
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    I'd name it for the old forum software.

Just remember you need to write the code in the importer for it to know what to do with it. :)
  • Just finished my own Porter version. It works well fetching all data from my old forum, but I was unable to import the file created by Porter into a test Vanilla2 installation. The error:

"There was an error while trying to create the User table (The specified data type (ser_id) is not accepted for the MySQL database.)."

Any advice is welcome. In plus I would like to send You my own Porter build. Thanx in advance Lincoln!
  • Hi Lincoln! No news? I wrote You privately, please reply. Thanx in advance!
  • data type (ser_id) 

typo user_id?

grep is your friend.

• what sofware are you migrating from?

grep is your friend.