Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

[BugReport 938] Paging Not Showing Up

VinVin
edited June 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Maybe I am doing something wrong but I cannot seem to see where the paging is happening. No mater if I change it to 10 discussions to show per page or change the theme, still I get no love. The 1, 2, 3, 4 and so on does not show up. Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    What version are you running?
  • Options
    First I tried the latest version release 2.0.17.10, that did not work, then I went up to Vanilla 2.0.18b1 and still did not work for me.
  • Options
    Same problem here. I am using 2.0.17.10.
  • Options
    Also using the 'EmbedFriendly' theme.
  • Options
    Glad I don't seem to be the only one, I am hoping it's something simple, well always!
  • Options
    Vin,

I posted the following as a separate question since neither one of us got an answer. This was the solution for me.

Please forgive me for re-posting this, but I'm a newbie to Vanilla. Love the program. However, I'm having a problem with paging. I had set up my forum with 4 or 5 categories and then decided to not use categories via the 'don't use categories' option on the manage categories page. By tracing through the code I found out that the paging routine accesses the CountDiscussions column on the Categories table and if this value is greater than the 'discussions per page' limit under advanced options, it sets up a pager. Since I had 2 announcements which were added before I set up the 'don't use categories' option, the value kept coming back as '2'. When I reactivated categories and assigned each discussion to category 1, paging showed up! It appears that if you don't use categories, you will never have paging. Is that correct?
  • Options
    UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    edited June 2011
    @Tim
    the paging routine accesses the CountDiscussions column on the Categories table and if this value is greater than the 'discussions per page' limit under advanced options, it sets up a pager. ... When I reactivated categories and assigned each discussion to category 1, paging showed up! It appears that if you don't use categories, you will never have paging. Is that correct?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options
    Yeah, that's the way it looks to me which definitely seems to be a bug. If you don't use categories, and have more than 100 discussions, no one would ever be able to get to those > 100!
  • Options
    If you think it's a bug, enter a bug report:
    https://github.com/vanillaforums/Garden/issues

• Options
    Thank you. I posted it on github.
  • Options

• Options
    There seemed to be a fix put into place for this issue 3 days ago, but I went ahead and made changes and still no love, any updates?

https://github.com/vanillaforums/Garden/commit/d870f94863fcdba4ff6213c6bda8350b58cf6be2
  • Options
    So I did not have to upgrade my whole forum I d/l the new beta 2 and simply replaced the two files in the bug report, that fixed the issue :)
  • Options
    Hey, that's great. I'll Try that. Thanks.
  • Options
    I had this problem after I imported a few 100k comments. Run these queries after your imports (using your favorite Query editor, wrapped in PHP, or build and share a plugin):

//UPDATE THE DISCUSSION COMMENT COUNTS
    update GDN_Discussion Set GDN_Discussion.CountComments = ((Select Count(GDN_Comment.CommentID) from GDN_Comment
    where GDN_Comment.DiscussionID = GDN_Discussion.DiscussionID) + 1)

//UPDATE THE CATEGORY DISCUSSION COUNTS
    update GDN_Category Set GDN_Category.CountDiscussions = (Select Count(GDN_Discussion.DiscussionID)
    from GDN_Discussion where GDN_Discussion.CategoryID = GDN_Category.CategoryID)

//UPDATE THE CATEGORY COMMENT COUNTS
    update GDN_Category Set GDN_Category.CountComments = (Select SUM(GDN_Discussion.CountComments)
    from GDN_Discussion where GDN_Discussion.CategoryID = GDN_Category.CategoryID)
  • Options

Thanks @CurtisOden

• Options

@CurtisOden said:
    Run these queries after your imports

Curtis,
    I owe you one adult beverage of your choice.