Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Problem with EMAIL notification under certain scenarios

I have been checking various scenarios to check E-mails are received where expected within the forum and have found some issues.

for example;

when someone comments on my status an e-mail is received, which is correct
when someone writes a comment on a discussion that i have booked marked an e-mail is received, which is also correct...Im sure there are other methods where e-mails are/should be received.

The problem is that I noticed that if my user registration is set to approval. I.E A user requests to become a member, I DO NOT receive an E-mail as a result i noticed I had 2 users on my forum waiting for approval. I check my E-mail daily but don't always log onto my forum (I also checked junk inbox)

When new members join I write a quick personal message. On one of these messaages the person commented back, but no E-mail is received. I would expect to receive an e-mail....under my preferences I have checked to receive emails for ALL notifications.

Have i missed something.

As the forum owner, administrator I want to receive E-mails when;

someone new joins, comments on any of my status, contributes to a discussion I have booked marked, creates a new discussion (would be nice)

Best Answer

• Options
    TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    Answer ✓
    This is not currently implemented, but we know it to be something that many people want.

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

Answers

• Options
    I have just tested the new beta release 2.0.18b2 and when someone requests to join the forum, an application the admin doesn't receive an e-mail notifying that there is a pending request....
  • Options
    TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    Answer ✓
    This is not currently implemented, but we know it to be something that many people want.

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• Options
    Thanks....interesting enough I did NOT receive an e-mail stating that You (TIM) posted a reply on the 5th July. I checked my Junk mail and deleted but couldn't see anything. My preferences within my vanilla profile are all ticked to receive notification. I have only noticed you replied as I logged onto vanillaforums.org to view the community forums.
  • Options
    This is wired...I received 4 E-mails ref replies on another vanillaforum post topic about CSS, 2 E-mails from ddumont and 2 from hyphy. The 2 from hyphy correspond to those commented in the discussion but the first E-mail from ddumont said

ddumont commented on your discussion.

[How to move the position of content within CSS]

.Email {

display:none;

}

Would that work?
    But when checking the actual forum post it said

ddumont 5:51AM Quote
    dl dd span.Email a {
    font-size: 8px;
    }

Does that work? play with the font size, that class should select the email anchor tag in the profile.

I can only assume ddumont edited his post? But you don’t receive an e-mail to say its been edited. It actually turns out the original post received by e-mail fixed my problem – but this wasn’t shown on the forum for others to see. The fix to remove E-mail from being displayed in users profiles is to add the following to customer and style.css (I added to both as I wasn't sure which one to update)

.Email {

display:none;

}

IS this correct....should e-mails be received when a comment is edited?

I have also noticed hyphy commented on another post;
    Contact Forum for Guests (& members) - utilising private message

No e-mail was received...strange