Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Social connect and problems when same user sign in in different ways.

TorbjornTorbjorn New
edited July 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Hi
I am testing out the functionality of different ways to sign in/register with Vanilla 2.10.18b2.
I have activated and configured the plugins for Twitter, Facebook, Google and Open-ID.
The question is how this is supposed to work when the same user 'signs in' in different ways?

I feel that it is important to inform the users if the sign in process is not transparent no matter what social sign in the user triggers. Of course the user have to have the same e-mail registered in all systems.

Lets say that registration is done without a social connect plugin and after confirmation of email the user is a member. The next time the user visits the forum he has Gmail open in another tab. So when logging into the forum he clicks login with Google. What is supposed to happen then?
a, Vanilla matches the e-mail address and completes the login without asking for a password.
b, Vanilla matches the e-mail address and prompts for a password
c, Vanilla creates a new account

I tried this on vanillaforums.org and got different results. All my social accounts has the same e-mail registered in their respective system.
I first registered the "normal" way an got my account after e-mail confirmation.
Then i tested sign in with Google and the login completed. No questions asked.
Then i tested sign in with FaceBook and got the popup 'You already got a account here' Enter password.
Then i tested Twitter. Vanilla created a new account with the twitter username as vanilla username and the registered mail became username@via.twitter.com

If the user registers using Google and then tries to sign in with Facebook a password has to be entered. The problem is that the user did not enter a password in the registration process.

Is the functionality goal that the user can choose different sign in methods seamlessly or do the user have to "stick" to the sign in method used when first registered?

Best Answer

• TorbjornTorbjorn New
    Answer ✓
    Thanks for solving my problem Todd. Info for anyone else in the community:
    There is a fix here

Answers

• OK. I have spent a LOT of time troubleshooting this and here are my findings.
    The problems related to Facebook, Google sign in and OpenID are all due to my localization file enabled.
    When i choose 'Locales -> Default Locale -> en-CA' everything works as it should.
    When i choose 'Locales -> Default Locale -> se-SV' + enable Swedish Locale the trouble begins and it is the registration/verification process that fails.
    1. Registration of a new user via Facebook halts after entering of username. The popup just "flickers" and stays up after entering a username + enter
    2. Verification of a existing user a popup -> ...you already have a account... ..enter existing password.... Same here the popup never "pops down" after entering the right password. Entering the wrong password dont display a error message (but it does when english is set)

If i do registration/verification in the locale en-CA and then log out, change locale to se-SV and then log in again its tbumbs up. The login process works with se-SV.

I have translated the strings visible in front-end end but not strings only visible in back-end.

Summary: The problems are related to registration/verification when my locale se-SV is enabled.

Are anybody else running a localization other than en-CA having these problems? Ping @oliverraduner

@Todd How can i troubleshoot this further to find a solution?
  • @lincon Firstly thanks for a great forum software. I try to contribute by reporting my findings here in this forum. Before i continue to troubleshoot this social connect issue I have in beta2 with the new release (RC2) and report it as a bug in Github. Do you have any experience of this problem or any hot tops for me.

Translators reading this: Is there any of you that have this problem to?
  • Now when a new version is out:
    Translators reading this: Is there any of you that have this problems to?
    I will test the 2.0.18 ASAP to see if the problems still exist.
  • ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    There was indeed a problem with connecting and translations that I am sure is fixed now. If not, let me know in this thread.
  • Hi
    Still having problems. Switched to default language and try to register as a new user with Facebook. I add the username and no password and get this error 'ConnectName is required.'
    https://img.skitch.com/20111104-myrfc2megibrtecaeixkfikspq.png

• sahotataransahotataran Developer, Bay Area - CA ✭✭✭

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• It works when i add an account with twitter. No popup shows just logs me in with my twitter username.
    The problem with twitter is that vanilla dosent store user email. I know its a API limitation bit it would be great if a popup was activated asking the user to enter email.
  • Thanks @sahotataran i suppose i should have done a search... Sorry for that.
  • I have installed 2.0.18.1 and are still having problems:
    If the default language is active everything is working great with social login.
    If my swedish language file is activated the social login dont work when a new user is added. The step 'choose your username' fails (popup flickers and stays up). As long as a user is in "in the system" the login works.

Searching all over for tips. Can the syntax of my languagefile cause the problem?

Is there anybody that runs a install with a non english forum and the Facebook login working?
  • ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    Are using the swedish locale on this site? If not, can you email your locale to todd@vanillaforums.com?
  • Ok. Mailing now. Thanks for taking time.
    I have a testsite setup so we can reproduce what is happenig. More info in the mail.
  • TorbjornTorbjorn New
    Answer ✓
    Thanks for solving my problem Todd. Info for anyone else in the community:
    There is a fix here
  • I'm rather confused about this issue as I experience the exact "already have an account" problem when attempting to connect with Facebook after logging in with Google.... and I have only used the default locale. Even testing logging on this forum, I get the same problem. Why only does Facebook connect do this and is there anyway I can fix it?